Re: [ISN] Keene Hacker (college/hack/information)

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 13:38:51 PDT

    Reply From: Len Flatley <lennyt_private>

    > Forwarded From: Aleph One <aleph1t_private>
    >
    >   http://www.boston.com/dailynews/wirehtml/117/Keene_Hacker.htm
    >
    >    KEENE, N.H. (AP) - Keene State College officials are trying to learn
    >    how someone could retrieve names and Social Security numbers from the
    >    college's computer network.

    	If the Keene State College is run like Edinboro University
    	in PA (where I grew up), or any number of schools in the
    	country, obtaining a students name, birthdate and social
    	security number would probably be no more difficult than
    	taking the dorm room assignment list posted in the dorms
    	at the beginning of the semester.

    	and since EUPs username scheme is a combination of the
    	person's initials and SSN, and the default password is the
    	students numerical birthdate, getting an account to use
    	was and still is a piece of cake for nonstudents living
    	in the area.  i have worked in a few universities and
    	many still have convenient/stupid policies like this.

    Len Flatley
    Velocity.Network Systems Administration

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Dimensional Communications (www.dim.com)