[ISN] Shake Communications Plagerizes the L-phtCrack 2.0 Documentation

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 19:31:53 PDT

    [Moderator: I apologize for this being off topic, but this kind
     of unprofessional behavior annoys me to no end. The l0pht
     has been a role-model in the hacker spirit for more years than
     I can count. l0pht team members have dedicated an incredible amount
     of time and resources for promoting security in various ways. It is
     a shame to see a for-profit company blatantly rip off their material
     and present it in such a fashion.]

       http://www.l0pht.com/l0phtcrack/shake_crit.html

       L0phtCrack, L0pht, their
       likeness, and these pages
       Copyright © 1998
       LHI Technologies, LLC
       All Rights Reserved

                                                    ----------

    Shake Communications Plagerizes the L0phtCrack 2.0 Documentation

    This is a critique of an article in the Shake Security Journal Vol. 1
    Issuse 1. It can be found at http://www.shake.net/L0pht_march98.htm

    The author has placed an asterisk in the first paragraph which references
    a disclaimer at the bottom of the document which states, "Shake
    Communications reserves the right not to disclose the sources for this
    articles for confidentiality and security reasons." The real reason they
    do not want the source disclosed is because of the flagrant copyright
    violations they have commited. All the other articles in the journal have
    proper attribution. They obviously did not want to expose their
    intellectual property theft.

    You will notice that approximately 50% of the article is plagiarized. This
    is a good example of how some in the security industry steal the original
    work of the L0pht and peddle it as their own research. When you read this
    also notice how the article's author has changed the slant of the original
    text by replacing "user" or "you" with "hacker".

    [snip....]

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Dimensional Communications (www.dim.com)