[ISN] CyberAngel Swoops in for Extra Security

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 15:20:12 PDT

    Forwarded From: Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05at_private>

    [I believe there was a thread about a similar product (or indeed the same
     one) as to how effective such a product of this nature would be. The
     possible problems I can see in it performing its task include:

     1. What if the hard disk is removed from the actual computer and examined
        in a non-networked environment?
     2. What if the thief uses an os different to the one used by the product
        to access data on the stolen computer?
     3. What if they simply unplug the phone?

     To me, this appears a clear example of security through obscurity, which
     we should all recognise as a very evil thing.

     Just my $0.02

     - Nick]

    PA   5/20/98 4:00 AM
      By Simon Watkins, PA News

       A computer security system which can telephone its owner for help if it
    is stolen is launched in the UK today.
       CyberAngel is the brainchild of Dr Dyrk Halstead and actor Robert Urich,
    better known as the star of Spenser for Hire than for his computer
    crime-busting.
       Computer crime is a growing problem with computer fraud costing around
    5 billion a year and hundreds of computers being stolen in the UK every
    day.
       CyberAngel is a software package which adds an extra layer of security
    to a PC stopping unwanted guests from logging into your files.
       Any unauthorised use of the computer will prompt CyberAngel to telephone
    CyberAngel headquarters and warn that security has been breached
       And even if a thief carries off the computer, the maker claims they can
    still be caught.
       As soon as they plug the computer into a telephone line, CyberAngel will
    again call CyberAngel headquarters and hand over the thief's telephone
    number.
       This can then be used to provide the address and even a map leading to
    the thief's home all within a matter of minutes.
       The first the thief knows that he has been traced is when the police
    come knocking.
       CyberAngel is distributed by Computer Sentry Security founded by Dr
    Halstead, who came up with the idea for CyberAngel with Mr Urich after Mr
    Urich's son had his laptop stolen.
       They hired a team of programmers to come up with a solution to beat
    computer theft and hackers.
       The CyberAngel system has already been adopted in the US by Federal
    Express, Lucas Aerospace and the California Institute of Technology.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]