[ISN] Merriam-Webster site taken down

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 23:43:31 PDT

    [Moderator: Yet another reminder on the value of physical security.]

    Wed Aug  5 00:41:57 MDT 1998
    www.m-w.com

        What happened?

        On Thursday night, July 30th, the facility that hosts
        Merriam-Webster's Web site was burglarized and its
        servers were stolen. We've managed to restore limited
        capacity, but we need to obtain new hardware from our
        suppliers before we can return to full service. We hope
        to have the entire site active again in a few days. We
        apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will bear
        with us as we deal with the situation.

        Thank you for your patience.

        --The Merriam-Webster Web Team

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: New Dimensions International [www.newdimensions.net]