Re: [ISN] Teen hackers plead guilty to Pentagon attacks

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 12:37:52 PDT

    Reply From: Josh Rouleau <jrouleauat_private>

    > SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) -- Two California teen-agers who mounted one of
    > the most organized and systematic hacker attacks ever on U.S. military
    >
    > "The government takes very seriously any attacks on the computer systems
    > which have become so much a part of the American infrastructure,"
    > Yamaguchi said in a statement.
    >
    > "We all rely heavily on these computers operating properly on a day-to-day
    > basis, and any intrusion can lead to major disruption in important public
    > and private services."

    My question to our government is then: "If we take defenses of our
    National Computer Infrastructure so seriously then

    1. Why is it that these teens could do as much as they say they did?

    2. Why then is it that this kind of attack could occur using a simple
       network monitoring tools "Packet Sniffer""?

    3. Why did it take them so long to finally respond?

    4. If the National Computer Infrastructure is so important then why
       is it my Personal PC or My Company Network seems to be not as
       important (ie. Encryption for the people is bad, security thwarts the
       police, etc....)?

    Can Anyone answer me these questions?

    Joshua J Rouleau, CNA
    Rehmann Robson PC and CPA's
    32255 Northwestern Highway Suite 50
    Farmington Hills Mi 48334
    Ph:1-248-855-7770 Ext: 219
    Fx:1-248-855-1957
    Email: Jrouleauat_private
    See our website at: http://WWW.RRPC.COM

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: New Dimensions International [www.newdimensions.net]