[ISN] Re: Stolen Navy Laptop

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 15:25:58 PDT

    [Moderator: End of thread.]

    Reply From: gbrandtat_private

    I was in the Navy for 12 years, and got out last year.  My last duty
    station was on a Submarine at Norfolk, and I can tell you that many of the
    PCs, even laptops, had classified information on them.  The requirement for
    removable hard drives was only applied to the most sensitive of data, such
    as Top Secret SCI and Crypto.  Most of the officers' laptops were used for
    preparing briefings, were cleared for, and contained Secret material.  I
    would not be surprised at all if some even contained some Top Secret
    material that they had used for a briefing.  Many of the officers were
    overworked, and not that computer literate.  So, even if they did not save
    the data to the Hard Drive, the cache may very well have the data.
    I was the Assistant Security Officer, and know for a fact that even though
    the machines might not be cleared for Secret material, they often were used
    for it.  And since the officers were in charge, and had the backing of the
    Commanding Officer, nothing was done about it.  It would have been
    EXTREMELY easy for me to walk off of that submarine at any time with a
    laptop carrying classified data.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]