[ISN] `Glaring hole' reported in PacBell's voice mail

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 22:49:32 PDT

    Forwarded From: William Knowles <erehwonat_private>

    http://www.sjmercury.com/breaking/docs/010678.htm

    SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Pacific Bell is investigating a possible flaw that could
    allow unauthorized access to the voice mail systems of thousands of its
    business customers.

    The breach could jeopardize the privacy of corporate customers who use the
    Centrex system, according to one expert. A ``glaring hole'' allows
    intruders to masquerade as the authorized voice mailbox recipient, said
    telecommunications consultant John Higdon.

    ``The only people who would return my calls were some `fraud department'
    folks who had already pulled my account records and treated me like some
    kind of hacker scum -- especially after I demonstrated that the problem
    really did exist in the fact of adamant denials,''

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]