[ISN] ISS Acquires March Information Systems

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Tue Oct 06 1998 - 15:43:05 PDT

    Forwarded From: "Spencer, Will" <wspencert_private>

    ISS Acquires March Information  Systems
    ATLANTA (Oct. 6) BUSINESS WIRE -Oct. 6, 1998--

    Acquisition Further Establishes ISS as Leading Provider of Adaptive
    Network Security Solutions with Expansion of Security

    Product Line and Expertise

    Internet Security Systems (Nasdaq: ISSX), the leading provider of adaptive
    network security software, today announced it is acquiring privately held
    March Information Systems.

    London-based March Information Systems is a developer of Windows NT and
    Unix- based security assessment technologies. The combined offerings of
    both companies will extend the value and capabilities of ISS'
    market-leading, SAFEsuite(R) adaptive network security solutions for
    protecting networks and systems across the entire enterprise.

    March Information Systems' unique security assessment products complement
    ISS' SAFEsuite award-winning software portfolio including best-of-breed
    security vulnerability and intrusion detection systems and the industry's
    first enterprise security decision-support technology. ISS' SAFEsuite,
    combined with March Information Systems' technology, will provide
    customers with a more advanced security control system for proactively
    monitoring and detecting security vulnerabilities and threats within
    dynamic enterprise network environments.

    Under the terms of the agreement, ISS is acquiring all of the outstanding
    stock of March Information Systems in exchange for $4.750 million in cash
    and 120,000 shares of ISS Group common stock. The transaction will be
    accounted for using the purchase method of accounting and the results of
    March Information Systems will be included in future results of ISS from
    October 6, 1998, the closing date of the transaction. In the most recent
    fiscal year of March Information Systems ended March 31, 1998, revenues
    totaled approximately $2 million.  ISS Extends Security Offerings to
    Include User Activity Security Assessment and Increased Platform Support

    With this transaction, ISS extends its rich heritage of security
    offerings, with robust capabilities in two new areas: end user activity
    assessment and increased platform support. As unacceptable and acceptable
    security risks become more defined through security policy development,
    they must be managed across the entire spectrum of business activities
    from base network services to applications, and from Web servers to the
    individual desktops of end users. March Information Systems expands the
    range of the ISS security control system to incorporate security policy
    compliance across more platforms and varieties of user activities.

    The combination of March Information Systems' adaptive policy enforcement
    technology and ISS' SAFEsuite will provide customers with the ability to
    detect security policy violations and compliance in specific user areas
    such as the presence and configuration of modems and tape and floppy
    drives. User specific policy management moves beyond the current ISS
    expertise in technical security vulnerabilities and operating systems
    configurations to user and applications usage and configurations. In
    addition, ISS will expand its coverage to support a wider range of
    platforms including additional versions of Unix and Novell NetWare(R)
    operating systems.

    "Today ISS is joining forces with a focused security software provider to
    extend our leading, enterprise information protection capabilities,
    distribution channels, development bandwidth, services and training
    offerings," said Tom Noonan, president and chief executive officer of
    Internet Security Systems (ISS). "This announcement further solidifies our
    lead in the adaptive network security market, and reinforces our position
    as the only vendor to offer organizations truly integrated, best-of-breed
    information protection solutions. Today's announcement delivers on our
    commitment to not only continue to leverage our core security expertise,
    but to extend the adaptive network security process beyond system and
    network security weaknesses into user driven security issues, providing
    our customers with the most powerful defense for identifying and
    responding to enterprise security risks."

    "We are pleased to be joining ISS, the pioneer and premier provider of
    adaptive network security software with its world-leading X-Force team of
    security experts," said Terry Pudwell, president of March Information
    Systems.  "ISS' unmatched security solutions continue to evolve at a rapid
    pace to cover all areas of risk on the global network from operating
    systems to desktops and servers. We look forward to combining our
    technology expertise to provide our joint customers with an even more
    powerful enterprise security portfolio."

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]