[ISN] Audit data needed

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 01:16:42 PST

    From: coastwatch-requestt_private

    Greetings, all.

    Several of our PhD students are researching advanced intrusion and anomaly
    detection methods.  None of these methods rely on looking at standard audit
    trails or network traces.  Instead, we're trying to do localized data
    reduction and directed observation.

    The good part of such research is that it will likely result in better
    methods of intrusion detection.  The downside is that we are having
    difficulty getting "real" data of the kinds necessary to refine our results!

    Enclosed is a request put together by one of the students working on one of
    the projects.  If any of you have data of the kind being sought and would be
    willing to contribute it to our research, we would really appreciate it!

    Please respond directly to Terran (email address below) if you can assist.

    If your data can be shared with others, please let Terran know that too -- I
    am certain he would be happy to share what he finds with others seeking the
    same kinds of data.

    --gene spafford