[ISN] Crackers Attack China on Rights

From: mea culpa (jerichot_private)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 16:21:50 PST

    Forwarded From: phreak moi <hackerelitet_private>

    http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/15857.html
    Crackers Attack China on Rights
    by Niall McKay
    9:17 a.m.  27.Oct.98.PST

    American crackers have defaced a Web site recently launched by China to
    provide the official view on the country's human rights record.

    The site is run by the Chinese Society for Human Rights, a group that
    represents China in its dialog with other countries on the rights issue.
    The page usually contains links to government documents and articles from
    the state-run media.

    However, on Monday night, angry crackers replaced the official page with a
    political message of their own.

    "I simply can not believe the total bullshit propaganda on this Web site,"
    wrote one cracker, who goes by the name "Bronc Buster."

    "China's people have no rights at all, never mind human rights. I really
    can't believe our government deals with them.  They censor, murder,
    torture, maim, and do everything we [thought] left the earth with the
    middle ages."

    The site draws attention to the fact that the Chinese routinely block
    access to the Web sites of foreign and Hong Kong-based human-rights
    groups, as well as those advocating Tibetan autonomy and Taiwanese
    independence, or representing political dissidents.

    Bronc Buster is a member of the Legions of the Underground, which last
    July claimed to have access to critical TV control systems at Time Warner
    Cable in the Los Angeles area. He told the Chinese webmaster that the
    site's security was a "total joke."

    The crackers added links from the Chinese site to Amnesty International as
    well as a site called Human Rights in China.

    "The Chinese Communist government is ...  a gang of 100-plus year old
    thugs and bullies who hide in seclusion," wrote Bronc Buster. "This
    pitiful effort of trying to change the hearts and minds of the world is a
    joke!

    "How can the United States trade millions and millions of dollars with
    them and give them most favored trade status when they know what is
    happening? Two wrongs do not lead to a right, no matter what twisted world
    you live in. Get informed!" the site read.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomot_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]