[ISN] Information Assurance and the New Security Epoch

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 07 1998 - 07:31:17 PST

    Forwarded From: 7Pillars Partners <partnersat_private>

    http://www.usia.gov/journals/itps/1198/ijpe/pj48hamr.htm

                   INFORMATION ASSURANCE AND THE NEW SECURITY EPOCH

                                  By Dr. John Hamre
                             Deputy Secretary of Defense

         Protecting critical information resources will become "one of the
         defining challenges of national security in the years to come," says
         Deputy Secretary of Defense John Hamre. Noting that the Pentagon is
         charged with protecting 28,000 different computer systems, he warns
         that securing the virtual world from cyberthreats "is as much a
         process of management approach and attention as it is of technology."

           The United States has faced five security epochs, with each change
           involving transitions from a certain past to an uncertain future.
           The first epoch was from the Revolutionary War to the mid-1820s,
           with the United States at the fringe of an international security
           environment still dominated by Europe.

           From the mid-1830s to the end of the 19th century, we enjoyed the
           insulation of the Atlantic Ocean to tend to our own affairs as the
           old European political construct disintegrated. This second epoch
           ended with World War I and the emergence of the Soviet Union. A
           third epoch took place from 1920 to 1946 and was characterized by
           global recession and the rise of international communism as Europe
           collapsed. These events led to a crisis for American democracy and
           the free enterprise system with the Great Depression, and the
           tensions in the international security environment led ultimately to
           World War II.

           The most recent epoch -- the Cold War -- was dominated by a bipolar
           world. The United States led the international community in creating
           institutions to rebuild the shattered economies of Europe and to
           deal with the collapse of the old Europe-dominated empires in the
           Third World. At the same time, the United States was leading the
           free world states to contain communism until the Soviet Union
           collapsed.

           Now we are in transition to a new epoch, seemingly characterized by
           the revival of old dangers -- nationalism and ethnicity. Another
           dimension in this new epoch is the dissolution of control and spread
           of the technologies that were created in the last epoch and the
           dramatic ascent of startling new technical capabilities that hold
           heretofore unheard of potential for both good and evil. We now live
           with the unsettling fear of "loose nukes" and chemical and
           biological weapons in the hands of terrorists.

           The next security epoch also will present the challenge of cyber
           security. The explosive growth in the use of information
           technologies (IT) has had a profound effect on all sectors of the
           American economy and government. IT has fueled amazing economic
           growth, dramatically improved communications, and allowed American
           businesses to compete more effectively than ever. The United States
           -- and the world -- truly rely on information technology in ways
           unimaginable even just a few years ago.

           Nowhere is this more true than in the U.S. military. The Department
           of Defense (DOD) is using IT to bring about what we call a
           Revolution in Military Affairs -- the movement and use of vast
           amounts of information to provide more reliable intelligence,
           radically improved command and control, better business practices,
           and more powerful weapons systems. This revolution is vital if we
           are to remain ready to defend U.S. interests today and prepare for
           the evolving threat of the next security epoch.

           The IT revolution is infusing every corner of DOD, both in the field
           and in the headquarters. Soon our soldiers at the squad level will
           have communications that allow commanders to know precisely the
           individual soldier's position, situation, and even heart rate --
           almost complete "battlespace awareness." Our sailors send e-mail
           home from ships at sea after using very similar technology to target
           cruise missiles. Pilots now factor in the "task saturation" of the
           flood of information available to them in flight.

           In our logistics processes, technology is being used to connect the
           front lines to the supply lines. We are committed to a paper-free
           acquisition process by the turn of the century. We have opened our
           Joint Electronic Program Office to streamline unit-level purchasing
           and are now using Internet-based electronic "shopping malls" to buy
           everything from pens to hydraulic actuators. We are using the
           Internet for a spectrum ranging from travel payments to satellite
           communication, and we have made huge strides in electronic
           publishing.

           In short, DOD is harnessing the power of the microchip to build the
           military of the 21st century. As we do so, however, we also must
           recognize that with new technologies come new dangers. The same
           technologies that allow us to seek new efficiencies can also be used
           by those who cannot attack us on the conventional field of battle to
           attack us in cyberspace. This is part of a very different and very
           important dimension in national security thinking; technologies and
           capabilities once accessible only to large nation-states are now
           accessible to individuals. The protection of our information
           resources -- information assurance -- will thus be one of the
           defining challenges of national security in the years to come.

           There is little argument that information assurance is critical; we
           in DOD already have seen the first wave of cyberthreats in both
           exercises and actual attacks. To start to learn the extent of our
           vulnerabilities, last year we conducted an exercise. Our "enemy" was
           a group of about 35 people who had the mission to break into DOD
           computer systems. Their tools were limited to commercially
           available, off-the-shelf technologies and software that was sold on
           the open market or downloaded off the Internet. Within three months,
           the group, operating under those constraints, was able to attack us,
           penetrate our unclassified networks and, in fact, could have
           seriously disrupted our communications and power systems.

           Last February, we experienced an organized attack against computer
           systems in the Pentagon at a time of increasing deployments to the
           Persian Gulf. It turned out to be by two teenagers in California,
           but coming when it did, the attack could have been much more
           serious. Both our exercise and small-scale attacks have served as
           wake-up calls that more serious attacks are not a question of "if,"
           but "when" and "where."

           To deal with these threats, we must first consider our mindset.
           Americans have traditionally thought of security like a fence around
           a yard, setting borders and protecting the area inside. If there is
           a break in the fence, it can be fixed and made secure again. This
           thinking worked well in previous security epochs, but there are no
           borders in cyberspace. The transition to the epoch to come must be
           marked not only by advancement of technology, but also by
           flexibility of thought. We must realize that security in the virtual
           world is as much a process of management approach and attention as
           it is of technology.

           Changing mindsets can be among the most difficult of tasks. Without
           realizing it, we are now, for example, providing information to
           potential foes that they previously spent hundreds of millions of
           dollars in intelligence operations trying to acquire. We had one
           military installation with what was thought to be a great homepage
           on the Web. It showed an aerial view of the facility with buildings
           labeled "Operations Center" and "Technical Support Center." It was
           great public relations, but it also provided valuable targeting
           information for those who might wish us ill.

           With an understanding of the broader issues involved with
           information assurance, we must move to take tangible action to
           protect our information resources. Within the past year, DOD has
           pulled together disparate efforts to try to understand the
           requirements to protect our information infrastructure. The pace of
           IT advancement makes this a daunting challenge; DOD has 28,000
           different computer systems, all of them being upgraded and changed,
           and we must understand their vulnerabilities. The challenge of
           information assurance is akin to war, and we are approaching it that
           way by designating a Joint Task Force Commander for Computer Network
           Defense to organize our efforts. DOD is also a key contributor to
           the National Information Protection Center and the President's
           Critical Information Assurance Office.

           Other actions are needed as well. Ninety-five percent of our
           communications are now over public telephone and fax lines, which
           makes encryption a core element in information assurance. One of the
           most dangerous scenarios in the virtual world is that our
           warfighters will receive deceptive "spoofed" messages that mislead
           them, so without reliable encryption, the entire information
           infrastructure on which we depend is vulnerable. In response to this
           threat, we are now working to ensure that within DOD, we can
           guarantee the digital identity of users and develop a reliable
           public key system. We must strengthen our encryption processes so
           that the information we transmit and deal with electronically is
           secure and verifiable.

           DOD is also making important strides in broader network security. We
           are installing network monitoring capabilities and working to ensure
           configuration control over an inherently changing and dynamic
           network environment. We are installing firewalls, network monitoring
           centers, digital signatures, and a security infrastructure.
           Information assurance, encryption, and network security pose some of
           the most daunting challenges the Department of Defense has ever
           faced. To take advantage of the IT revolution, we must ensure access
           to and protection of the very assets on which we depend. We are
           taking giant strides to make this happen, but much more remains to
           be done. These challenging days require that we turn to the
           expertise of information professionals both in DOD and in the
           broader government and private sectors to protect systems vital to
           all of us. We must ensure that our nation's journey into the new
           security epoch is as successful as the last.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]