RE: [ISN] NT Server bug exposes user groups, users

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 16:42:48 PST

    [Moderator: I could go on and rant about this as well. I find it amazing
     how every new NT bug gets mainstream press, yet each time the articles
     don't provide a good fix, don't beg the questions of quality in the
     products, mention that many of Microsoft's patches break the system,
     etc. Quality in journalism is *still* lacking, just in new ways.]

    Reply From: <anonymous>

    Well, this is real nice.  This article tells us that we are probably
    vulnerable and that our company could be listed on this site, but it
    dosn't tell us how to protect ourselves or how to find the site to see if
    our if our company is listed there. In other words, it tells us enough to
    get our attention and then keeps us in the dark.

    And NT SP4 is not the answer if you are in a corporate setting. You cannot
    just load buggy service packs without testing them to ensure they aren't
    going to break all your applications.

    > http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/printme/0,4235,374497,00.html
    >
    > NT Server bug exposes user groups, users
    > By Scott Berinato
    >
    > A bug in Microsoft Corp.'s NT Server 4.0 can expose a
    > server's user groups
    > and users, according to tests done by PC Week Labs.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]