[ISN] Administrivia 12.15.98

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 12:07:31 PST

    Greetings..

    	Sorry for the duplicate posts over the last few days. I am still
    trying to figure out the details of what happened. So far, I can tell that
    mail went out from here, hit majordomo@repsec, delivered to a user on the
    'terratec.de' system, which in turn sent the mail back with original
    headers to the majordomo. This caused a small mail loop and the duplicate
    posts. For those who asked, this also explains the oddness in the headers
    for some of the messages, as well as the duplicate trailers.

    	I have contacted the postmaster and temporarily unsubscribed the
    user until the problem is solved. Thank you to the users who mailed in to
    let me know. I do get a copy of the ISN posts here, but they filter into a
    seperate folder which I check infrequently. If you ever see a problem like
    this, please don't hesitate to let me know.

    	-=-

    	The X-mas season is upon us and its time for vacation. A reminder:
    *Please* don't set vacation/auto responders while out if you are
    subscribed to mail lists. On lists this size, it tends to generate a lot
    of mail. Imagine if 5% of the list does this, and I post five messages in
    one day. That generates over *500* pieces of mail me on top of the normal
    transient failure messages, user unknown messages, etc. I am sure there is
    a vacation package out there that can keep track of who mails it, and only
    send one notice per week or something.

    	Elsewise, enjoy the list. Thanks for the continued support!

    	mea_culpa
    	www.attrition.org

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Repent Security Incorporated [www.repsec.com]