[ISN] C2Net announces OpenSSL Project

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 23:50:27 PST

    Forwarded From: "Jay D. Dyson" <jdysonat_private>
    Originally From: sameer <sameerat_private>

    	C2Net, producer of the popular Stronghold product, in conjunction
    with Ralf S. Engelschall, author of the popular mod_ssl and mod_rewrite
    modules for Apache, together announce the creation of the OpenSSL Project.

    	The OpenSSL Project has been created in order to preserve the
    existence and continued support of a free SSL/TLS library for commercial
    and non-commercial use, in light of recent developments with the currently
    popular SSLeay package. Therefore, C2Net has been planning for some time
    the creation of a true Open Source project for the maintenance of a
    SSL/TLS toolkit, known as "OpenSSL".
    	This project has been planned because there have been no recent
    updates to SSLeay, and we are concerned that SSLeay may no longer be
    maintained. Just as when NCSA HTTPD was no longer being maintained, the
    Apache Group took over maintanence of the server, we created the OpenSSL
    Group because we're concerned that it may no longer be currently
    maintained.

    	While we had been hoping to delay our announcement until we had a
    release finished with some significant added functionality, Ben Laurie's
    recent announcement forced our hand. We don't want to see a division of
    effort in the community, so we felt it important that we make this
    announcement now. We plan to make a more formal announcement after the New
    Year.

    	OpenSSL will be a SSLeay-derived product, released under an
    Apache-style license. We will append to the end of this message the text
    of the license we plan to use.

    	We will be distributing the software and documentation from a
    website outside the United States at http://www.OpenSSL.org/.

    	The initial release will be OpenSSL v0.9.1c, based on a
    C2Net-internal version of SSLeay developed with funding from C2Net. In
    short order we'll have a public CVS tree setup and will be contributing a
    number of other patches and modifications to the OpenSSL toolkit.

    	Please contact us if you have SSLeay patches and improvements
    which you would like to contribute to the OpenSSL project.

    	Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I can be
    reached at sameerat_private, or by phone at +1 510 986 8770.

    /* ====================================================================
     * Copyright (c) 1998 The OpenSSL Project.  All rights reserved.
     *
     * are met:
     *
     *
     *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
     *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
     *    distribution.
     *
     * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
     *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
     *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
     *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.OpenSSL.org/)"
     *
     * 4. The names "OpenSSL Toolkit" and "OpenSSL Project" must not be used to
     *    endorse or promote products derived from this software without
     *    prior written permission. For written permission, please contact
     *    licensingat_private
     *
     * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "OpenSSL"
     *    nor may "OpenSSL" appear in their names without prior written
     *    permission of the OpenSSL Project.
     *
     * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
     *    acknowledgment:
     *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
     *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.OpenSSL.org/)"
     *
     * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE OpenSSL PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY
     * EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
     * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
     * PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE OpenSSL PROJECT OR
     * ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
     * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
     * NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
     * LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
     * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
     * STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
     * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
     * OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
     *
     * This product includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young
     * (eayat_private).  This product includes software written by Tim
     * Hudson (tjhat_private).
     *
     */

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]