[ISN] "Hackers Don't Go To War"

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 21:24:40 PST

    Forwarded From: "Betty G.O'Hearn" <bettyat_private>

    LoU STRIKE OUT WITH INTERNATIONAL COALITION OF
    HACKERS: A JOINT STATEMENT BY 2600, THE CHAOS
    COMPUTER CLUB, THE CULT OF THE DEAD COW,
    !HISPAHACK, L0PHT HEAVY INDUSTRIES, PHRACK AND
    PULHAS

    Chaos Computer Club: Frank Rieger, frankat_private Cult of
    the Dead Cow: pressat_private !Hispahack:
    mentesinquietasat_private L0pht Heavy Industries:
    pressat_private Phrack: routeat_private Pulhas:
    monolithat_private

    An international coalition of hackers strongly condemns the
    Legion of the Underground's (LoU) recent "declaration of war"
    against the governments of Iraq and the People's Republic of
    China. Citing human rights violations and other repressive
    measures the LoU declared their intention to disrupt and
    disable Internet infrastructures in Iraq and China. In a
    decision that was more rash than wise, the LoU will do little
    to alter existing conditions and much to endanger the rights
    of hackers around the world.

    We - the undersigned - strongly oppose any attempt to use
    the power of hacking to threaten or destroy the information
    infrastructure of a country, for any reason. Declaring "war"
    against a country is the most irresponsible thing a hacker
    group could do. This has nothing to do with hacktivism or
    hacker ethics and is nothing a hacker could be proud of.

    Frank Rieger of the CCC said, "Many hacker groups don't
    have a problem with Web hacks that raise public awareness
    about human rights violations. But we are very sensitive to
    people damaging networks and critical systems in repressive
    regimes or anywhere else. The police and intelligence
    communities regard hacking as seditious. It is quite possible
    now that hackers - not only in totalitarian states - could be
    jailed or executed as 'cyberterrorists' for the slightest
    infraction of the law."

    "It is shortsighted and potentially counterproductive," added
    Reid Fleming of the cDc. "One cannot legitimately hope to
    improve a nation's free access to information by working to
    disable its data networks."

    "Though we may agree with LoU that the atrocities in China
    and Iraq have got to stop, we do not agree with the methods
    they are advocating," said Space Rogue of the L0pht.

    Emmanuel Goldstein of 2600 said: "This kind of threat, even
    if made idly, can only serve to further alienate hackers from
    mainstream society and help to spread the misperceptions
    we're constantly battling. And what happens when someone
    in another country decides that the United States needs to
    be punished for its human rights record? This is one door that
    will be very hard to close if we allow it to be opened."

    Governments worldwide are seeking to establish cyberspace
    as a new battleground for their artificial conflicts. The LoU
    has inadvertently legitimized this alarmist propoganda. With
    its dramatic announcement the LoU played into the hands of
    policy makers who want complete control over the Internet
    and are looking for reasons to seize it. If hackers solicit
    recognition as paramilitary factions then hacking in general
    will be seen as an act of war. Ergo, hackers will be viewed as
    legitimate targets of warring states.

    Strategic combat planning in the United States and among
    other nations has reached the point where real-world cases
    are needed to justify assigned budgets. The LoU is providing
    this real-world case now. We believe that the LoU should
    carefully investigate the idea of declaring "war" against China
    and Iraq.  Was it planted with them by someone with different
    interests in mind other than advancing human rights
    considerations?

    The signatories to this statement are asking hackers to
    reject all actions that seek to damage the information
    infrastructure of any country. DO NOT support any acts of
    "Cyberwar." Keep the networks of communication alive. They
    are the nervous system for human progress.

    Signed (7.1.1999):

    2600 (http://www.2600.com) Chaos Computer Club
    (http://www.ccc.de) Cult of the Dead Cow
    (http://www.cultdeadcow.com) !Hispahack
    (http://hispahack.ccc.de) L0pht (http://www.l0pht.com)
    Phrack (http://www.phrack.com) Pulhas (http://p.ulh.as/)
    several members of the Dutch Hackers Community (contact
    Rop Gonggrijp, ropat_private) Toxyn (http://www.toxyn.org/)

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]