[ISN] ShadowCon October 1999

From: mea culpa (jerichoat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 13:00:01 PST

    Forwarded From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2at_private>

    Preliminary Announcement and Call for Proposals
    ShadowCon Oct 26 - 27 1999
    Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren Va

    http://www.nswc.navy.mil/ISSEC/CID/

    Please mark your calendars for this DoD sponsored Intrusion Detection and
    Information Assurance conference and workshop. There will be no charge for
    attendees, but even though it is free we will make sure it is a high-value
    two days. Please pass this one to people who would be interested.

    Oct 26 will be a vendor show and high quality talks by experts in the
    field. If you are interested in presenting, please send email to:
    shadowat_private

    On Oct 27 we will have a workshop from 0800 - 1600. It is entitled
    "Where's the depth?". This will explore the "last mile" problem in
    implementing a defense in depth strategy focusing on issues related to
    instrumenting and protecting desktop computer systems. Once an attacker is
    inside a facility either by circumventing a firewall, using insider
    access, or exploiting a backdoor there is little chance they will be
    stopped or even detected. There are a number of approaches including
    personal firewalls and host based intrusion detection systems. Even so, we
    have a long way to go before our desktops are truly a sensor network, or
    before we can actually protect these systems. Workshop topics will be
    divided between pragmatic and research solutions and challenges. The
    workshop is invitation only. There will be a limited number of observer
    seats for funding agencies, but this is primarily for active participants.
    If you wish to particpate send a proposal describing what you can bring to
    the table to shadowat_private

    There may also be a workshop for issues facing Information System Security
    Managers.

    Hope to see you there!

    The Shadow Team

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Internet Security Institute [www.isi-sec.com]