[ISN] Anti-NATO Hackers Sabotage 3 Web Sites

From: cult hero (jerichoat_private)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 12:53:31 PDT

    [Moderator: Mirrors of these hacks can all be found at
     http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition]

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/balkans/stories/hackers051299.htm

    Anti-NATO Hackers Sabotage 3 Web Sites
    By Stephen Barr
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, May 12, 1999; Page A25

    Computer hackers protesting NATO's bombing of the Chinese Embassy in
    Belgrade sabotaged three U.S. government Web sites, Clinton administration
    officials said yesterday.

    The hackers placed anti-NATO messages on Web pages operated by the Energy
    Department, the Interior Department and one Interior bureau, the National
    Park Service. The cyber-attacks late Sunday forced the Energy Department
    and the Park Service to shut down their home pages for much of Monday.

    The Interior Department hacker "was traced back to China by DOI computer
    experts," said Interior spokesman Tim Ahearn. "The FBI is looking into it
    now."

    Energy spokeswoman Michelle Del Valle said, "We don't know who did it,"
    but she noted that "the hackers claimed in a message that they were
    Chinese." She said the DOE has started an investigation.

    The officials said the Web pages were pulled off line quickly after the
    sabotage was discovered. Electronic firewalls protected other parts of the
    departmental computer systems from attack, they said.

    Del Valle said hackers placed the following message, with parts in
    imperfect English, on the DOE's site:

    "Protest U.S.A.'s Nazi action! Protest NATO's brutal action! We are
    Chinese hackers who take no cares about politics. But we can not stand by
    seeing our Chinese reporters been killed which you might have know.
    Whatever the purpose is, NATO led by U.S.A. must take abosolute
    responsibility. You have owed Chinese people a bloody debt which you must
    pay for. We won't stop attacking until the war stops!"

    NATO bombed the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade on Saturday, killing three
    people, including at least one journalist. U.S. and NATO officials said
    the bombing was an accident caused by reliance on an outdated map.

    At Interior, Ahearn said hackers sabotaged the home page about 10 p.m.
    Sunday, replacing photographs and information with "pictures of Asian
    people and Chinese writing." It took about five hours to take the page off
    the Web, restore data and bring it back on line.

    Another federal Web site – Recreation.gov – was hit April 30 and was down
    until May 3, Ahearn said.

    The White House Web site was shut down Monday night after attempts were
    made Monday morning to hack into the system. White House spokesman Barry
    Toiv said it was shut down through last night to try to determine whether
    hackers tampered with the White House computer system. Toiv said he did
    not know who was responsible.

    -o-
    Subscribe: mail majordomoat_private with "subscribe isn".
    Today's ISN Sponsor: Hacker News Network [www.hackernews.com]