[ISN] The May Report: 05/14/2001: Electronic banking security problems at Bank One? (fwd)

From: William Knowles (wkat_private)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 12:52:36 PDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:17:30 -0500
    From: Claire Dolinar <claireat_private>
    To: mayreportat_private
    Subject: The May Report: 05/14/2001: Electronic banking security  problems
        at Bank One?; an insider's view of Eppraisals

    May 14, 2001

    The May Report
    Your inside source on Chicago's high tech community

    The May Report: 05/14/2001: Electronic banking security problems at Bank
    One?; an insider's view of Eppraisals

    Ron May: editor, reporter, commentator, and publisher.
    773-871-2000 x1

    For personal & confidential: 312-670-6336
    E-mails for Ron: ronaldmayat_private or ronat_private Unless
    otherwise requested by the sender, all correspondence addressed to Ron May
    and/or The May Report is subject to publication in the newsletter and on
    the website.

    Administrative matters should be directed to Claire Dolinar
    (claireat_private)

    ----------
    Sponsorship by Forward.net, Inc.:

    Move Forward!  Computer consultants recommend Forward.net for accessible,
    dependable and knowledgeable website, e-mail and database hosting, DSL,
    colocation, all digital dial-up, T-1's and more business data
    communications services.  To find our why more than 1000 Chicago companies
    connect with http://www.Forward.net, contact 312.577.2250 #2, or e-mail
    salesat_private

    ____________________
    Briefly noted, by Ron May

    * I got two calls on Friday night, one of which deals with a local
    Internet/software company and the problems they may be having. I
    proceeded to spend a great deal of time investigating the story over
    the weekend, and here I am, Monday at lunchtime, asking myself "What's
    the story here?" I have gathered a great deal of information, but it's
    not clear to me that there's anything out of the ordinary in terms of
    a story that has value. If for no other reason than I have already
    gathered a great deal of information, I will provide you with a brief
    outline of it, but not today.  One general comment that I can make is
    that in the relationship between service vendors and Internet
    companies both sides have a responsibility to be proactive about where
    things stand in the relationship. The trouble starts when you let six
    or seven months go by before you get aggressive about collecting a
    bill or meeting with the client.

    The second call I got was about a problem that, if verified, could be
    a big story. The person who called me owns a small tax business,
    similar to H&R Block. He told me that one of his clients was using the
    new electronic banking system provided by Bank One, and apparently it
    still may have some bugs in it. From what I understand, someone was
    able to break into this client's bank account and submit an electronic
    check for payment which was large enough to wipe out the account but
    not so large as to cause an overdraft. When this person reported the
    problem to Bank One, she was told that she was the third person that
    day who had run into this difficulty.  This happened about a week ago.
    Does anyone know any more about the subject, because I think that this
    could potentially be a big story.

    [...]

    ____________________
    THE MAY REPORT STAFF AND CONTRIBUTORS / CONTACT INFORMATION
    Contributors: Todd Allen: irreverent humor; Jonathan Plotkin: web
    cartoonist and provocateur; Dan Limbach: Editor of Schmoozemonger.com, and
    founder of In A World, Inc., "The Idea Petri Dish"; Jeffrey Gilbert:
    contributing columnist on strategy. Jeffrey is a founder of BLINK, Inc.
    which, among other things, provides strategic consulting services to startups.

    Advertising: Paul May and Mike Rhoades
    Executive Assistant: Claire Dolinar
    Administrative Asst. Juli Scaro
    ++++++ Contact Information+++++
    Claire Dolinar (executive assistant): 773-871-2000 x 2
    773-871-4933 (Fax).
    ________
    Advertising or business issues:
    Available space to get your message across to over 16,000 subscribers.
    Call Paul May @ 312-377-4211 or e-mail paulat_private
    Include your phone number please.
    "subscribe" in the subject line.
    To UNSUBSCRIBE: Send your request to claireat_private and put
    "unsubscribe" in the subject line.
    Note that being added to or removed from the distribution list is not an
    automated process; they are manually prepared and processed once a day.
    Please be patient. If we have difficulties unsubscribing your address we
    will notify you.

    Is a colleague forwarding the May Report to you? Why not receive it
    directly from us? Subscribe now! There is no charge for our newsletter.

    send to claireat_private with events in the subject line.