[ISN] Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation website latest victim of hackers

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 23:54:06 PDT

    http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/news.asp?ArticleID=20124

    Abu Dhabi
    By Nissar Hoath
    19-06-2001

    Another local website has been hacked by cyber criminals operating
    from outside the UAE. This time the target was a government
    department.

    The latest attack, following the hacking of the Gulf News website by
    an Israeli last week, involved the Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation Department
    site by a hacker who vandalised its home page with abusive language
    and slogans.

    The department site which provides flight information was hacked on
    Sunday, according to an official of the department's Data Processing
    Section who did not want to be named. The website installed on the
    department's server was immediately shut down to minimise damage.

    "The hackers, believed to be from India, could only damage the front
    page of the site, as we acted quickly to shut it down," the official
    said. The hackers identified themselves as "Hindustan Hackers".

    Asked if the IT section could trace the hackers, he said, "No. We have
    not located the hackers. But we are trying to find out from where the
    site was hacked. We are not sure whether the site was really hacked
    from a computer in India."

    This is the fourth time in recent months that the site has been
    hacked. "First it was hacked from Israel, then from Kuwait and Russia,
    and now, probably, from India," he said. The department is revamping
    its entire website to install it on Etisalat's server.

    "A whole new set-up with upgraded firewall and more security will be
    installed for the public service," he said. "The hackings have been
    occurring due partly to a weak firewall. Any animal, a dog or a cat,
    can enter your house if the door is weak or there is no door at all,"
    he said.

    Last week, Gulf News had to shut down its website after it was hacked
    by an Israeli hacker. The hackers vandalised the site with the message
    "You have been hacked...Long Live Israel...You were owned by
    Senodyne". The message was accompanied by an Israeli flag.

    Gulf News investigations are focusing on an individual with links to
    the Weizmann Institute of Science in Haifa and an interest in the
    theory of cryptography, the art of writing or breaking codes. Access
    to the web edition has been restored.

    ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
    ---
    To unsubscribe email isn-unsubscribeat_private