RE: [ISN] IT's hottest job? Security expert

From: Masongsong, Manny (Manny_Masongsongat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 18:06:55 PDT

    I agree with you.

    I've been in security since the late 1970's beginning with setting up of TSO
    accounts, then RACF, then CA-Top Secret, then dial-up protection devices,
    then LAN security, developed security policies, implemented VPNs, IDS,
    firewalls, security on Windows, UNIX, Tandem, AS400, etc., etc. and have
    helped set up national standards on shared-ATM network security, etc. I
    stood in front of company executives explaining what this stuff's all about
    and asked them for money for my security projects. I've battled with
    sysadmins and programmers about their unlimited production access. Many
    times I stay up late going over security logs or jump when my pager
    signalled an alert from our intrusion detection system. I've dealt with
    internal and external auditors and made reports to our insurers about our IT
    protection. I managed a team of technical experts, security administrators,
    disaster recovery coordinator, etc., etc. and trained them well to make sure
    they know their stuff.

    I taught this stuff in college and spoke at various conferences and have
    been a chairman of a computer security association for 14 years. I've done
    security continuously for over 20 years over ever-changing technologies, and
    yet I have never considered myself an expert because things always change
    and I find that there's always something new for me to learn, or that
    somebody always knows more than I do. Now, I watch the tv and they interview
    some network administrator or a recent grad who has just installed an
    anti-virus software  or someone who has read about hacking in Playboy
    magazine or a newbie who has written his first HTML code or someone who just
    learned to play with "hack-a-tack" and call them all "security experts". I
    really don't know where we should draw the line. Security is such a
    wide-ranging field that it would really be hard to become a true expert at
    it. I agree that the word "expert" has been misused.

    My 2 cents.

    Thank you.

    Manny

    Manny R. Masongsong