Re: [ISN] Companies Confront Rising Network Threats

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 02:51:32 PDT

    Forwarded by: security curmudgeon <jerichoat_private>

    > Forwarded by: C. L. Staten <sysopat_private>
    >
    > http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/netinf/article/0,,11962_795451,00.html
    >
    > By Eva Marer
    > July 2, 2001
    >
    > Every morning, Gregor Bailar, executive vice president of operations and
    > technology and CIO of NASDAQ, pores over the previous day's security
    > report. "We have hundreds of different types of hacking and other
    > security attempts in any given week," he says.
    >
    > At the moment, Bailar's not so much worried about a breach of NASDAQ's
    > trading system -- a private network of computers secured behind a tank
    > embankment wall -- but about the potential damage in dollars and
    > investor confidence should one of the exchange's public Web sites go
    > down.

    Should? Wonder if he had any comments for when it DID.

    http://attrition.org/mirror/attrition/1999/09/15/www.nasdaq-amex.com/

    Interesting to note that this page has since been 'retired' and asks the
    user to choose www.nasdaq.com or www.amex.com.

    Name:    nasdaq-amex.com
    Address:  208.249.117.76

    Name:    nasdaq.com
    Addresses:  63.79.105.71, 208.249.117.71

    Name:    amex.com
    Address:  208.249.117.79

    These machines are all on the same network and could very well be
    virtually hosted off a single machine.

    > Like many senior technologists, Bailar makes decisions about risk
    > management every day. Unlike most CIOs, however, he's got the backing to
    > make his decisions stick. Those resources include two dedicated security
    > teams, a direct pipeline to national security personnel, armed security
    > guards, and a total budget of $450 million.

    All of these resources didn't stand up to a couple defacers..

    > Bailar shakes his head at the way companies leave themselves open for
    > attack. But in a way it's understandable, says Savage. "A lot of

    Ironic..

    > Eva Marer is a freelance reporter based in New York who writes for CIN,
    > an internet.com site where this story first appeared. She covers
    > investments, personal finance, and corporate technology issues for a
    > variety of trade and consumer magazines.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.