RE: [ISN] Microsoft takes heat for Code Red

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 01:13:56 PDT

    Forwarded by: Michael Huntley <michaelat_private>

    I'm not surprised at the M$ bashing, but I must take note that BIND
    has had several vulnerabilities, and users of BIND have suffered from
    those vulnerabilities as much as NT users of IIS.  Frankly, if the
    users of NT had applied the patch that came out on June 18th this
    would not be an issue, much like the problems that persisted after
    holes were found in BIND 8.2.2-p5 and before.

    As an administrator for several types of machines testing and applying
    patches is a way-of-life.  It doesn't matter to me whether the systems
    are NT or RedHat Linux.  Seems to me, IMHO, the bashing should be on
    the administrators of the machines, not M$, merely for the fact the
    patch was out a full month prior to the mass infection.

    My 2 cents.

    Michael Huntley
    michaelat_private