[ISN] Microsoft Bundles Worm with IIS

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 01:17:03 PDT

    Forwarded by: Barry Gill <barryat_private>

    [Its dated July 19th, but lately its a timeless joke.  - WK]

    http://www.bbspot.com/News/2001/07/worm.html

    Redmond, WA - Microsoft announced that it bundled a worm with its
    latest version of Internet Information Server.

    "We did it because it's beneficial to our users," said Bill Gates.
    "With the worm already bundled as part of the software, network
    administrators won't have to wonder if their system is infected. They
    will know.  It's obvious with the number of servers already infected
    with worms and Trojan horses that this is something our users want.
    Otherwise, why would they be infected?"

    The worm named Penfield Destroyer replicates itself and spreads to
    other IIS servers not already infected by the worm.  On September 18th
    2001 the servers will mount a coordinated attack on the Department of
    Justice website.

    "I like the fact that I don't have to go out and install the upgrade
    myself.  I was expecting one of those confusing Worm Wizard things
    that I always choose Typical on," said one network administrator who
    should remain anonymous.  "The Microsoft rep told me that they would
    bill us when the worm installed itself.  That's why I love working
    with Microsoft, innovation."

    Servers installed with Linux will be safe from attack, which is by
    design according to Microsoft.  "We're not going to infect our worm
    with the GPL virus.  If our worm were to infect a Linux server then it
    would have to be given away for free to everyone, and then the dark
    curtain of Communism would surely blanket America," said a Microsoft
    engineer.

    Security experts were unfazed by the whole affair.  "If it's a
    Microsoft produced worm it won't work until the third version anyway.
    I'll get more worried then when Trojan Worm Virus 3.0 is released,"
    said SecurityBreach.com's Lonnie Markow.

    Confused hackers cracked the worm within 48 hours of its release and
    copies were available for download on warez sites.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.