[ISN] Japan hit hard by Code Red II

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 03:10:03 PDT

    http://www.drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

    XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX MON AUG 06, 2001 12:31:09 ET XXXXX

    IBM INTERNALS SHOW JAPAN HIT HARD BY 'CODE RED 2'
    **Exclusive**

    IBM technicians kept track of Sunday night's virus outbreak -- dubbed
    'Code Red 2' -- and watched in awe as the bug knocked down systems
    worldwide, according to confidential communications obtained by the
    DRUDGE REPORT:

    08/06/2001 10:53:40 AM EDT Richard ****/Poughkeepsie/IBM Update: A
    code red worm is suspected to have infected at least 400 IBM servers
    in Hursley, England. AT&T IPNet support is bringing up the links to
    EMEA and AP with port 80 filtered on inbound and outbound links. The
    San Francisco to Japan links have been up for about an hour with no
    degradation to the SF router. The MPN crossovers in EMEA also have had
    filters installed to prevent the 9. advertisements. Senior AT&T and
    IBM management have been involved and are providing hourly updates.

    08/06/2001 12:12:56 AM MDT Peg ****/Denver/IBM Update: i have just
    been notified from boulder duty manager that the AT&T mpn network has
    gone down again in australia, canada, and japan the reported down time
    is 01:32 am edt japan has been isolated from the network and is
    assumed to be the source of the problem the new york backbone is in
    very bad shape and will remain "shakey" until all is rerouted there
    are still problems between north america and europe

    08/05/2001 11:21:24 PM MDT Peg ****/Denver/IBM Update: it appears that
    our network is normalizing....we still are not sure of the actual root
    cause of the problem, however, since the AT&T mpn problem has been
    resolved our connectivity issues are also resolving ....there will be
    further investigation tomorrow the mpn is still unstable, so I will
    keep this alert active in case problems re-occur it does appear that
    all of the www-1 and slingshot problems are resolved

    08/05/2001 09:53:09 PM MDT Peg ****/Denver/IBM Update: AT&T network
    problem is worldwide it appears to be separate from the www-1 problems
    we have been experiencing all day, however, it is impacting our
    problem determination/resolution we are currently putting the third
    serBR> 08/05/2001 06:34:16 PM MDT Peg ****/Denver/IBM Update: the
    technical teams have decided to back out the IP address change from
    last night to get back to a known stable environment. we will
    reconvene at 10pm edt and i will send another update after that call.
    getting production services back and stable is our first priority

    08/05/2001 04:20:54 PM EDT Michael ****/Poughkeepsie/IBM Update:
    Extended teams are still working the issue supported by testing from
    POK and WWCC. It appears to be affecting other www-1 sites as well. No
    ETU.

    08/05/2001 14:17:08 EDT Michael ****/Poughkeepsie/IBM Initial:
    Intermittent problems accessing the sites, support teams are
    investigating

    END

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.