[ISN] Using the Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir Attack to Break WEP

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 01:40:27 PDT

    Forwarded by: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.cs.rice.edu/~astubble/wep/

    AT&T Labs Technical Report TD-4ZCPZZ, August 6, 2001

    Authors:

    Adam Stubblefield
    John Ioannidis
    Aviel D. Rubin

    Abstract:

    We implemented an attack against WEP, the link-layer security protocol
    for 802.11 networks. The attack was described in a recent paper by
    Fluhrer, Mantin, and Shamir. With our implementation, and permission
    of the network administrator, we were able to recover the 128 bit
    secret key used in a production network, with a passive attack. The
    WEP standard uses RC4 IVs improperly, and the attack exploits this
    design failure. This paper describes the attack, how we implemented
    it, and some optimizations to make the attack more efficient. We
    conclude that 802.11 WEP is totally insecure, and we provide some
    recommendations.

    Text:

    PostScript
    PDF
    HTML

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org