Re: [ISN] Code Red is Not The Problem

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 04:34:21 PDT

    Forwarded by: David Lewis <Davidat_private>

    > Forwarded by: Darren Reed <darrenrat_private>
    >
    > <snip>
    > How about making providing software, with security bugs, for
    > commercial use a felony or something that no disclaimer can waive
    > responsibility for ? Maybe it should be a felony to release any
    > software package with any known bugs or in doing so a software
    > manufacturer voids any claim to hiding behind a disclaimer.
    >
    > What about going a step further and including deploying software with
    > security bugs a felony, that way making system admins take more care
    > in the software they install.
    > <snip>
    >
    > Darren
    >
    > (I'm in rant mode about this)

    I can't decide just which way to attack this particular piece of
    drivel.  "Stupid mode" would have been a better description than "rant
    mode", Maybe while we're at it we could just outlaw bugs altogether?
    Lock up any software manufacturer who dares defy our Bug-Free America
    edict by publishing a piece of software that has bugs in it!  Hell,
    while we're at it, we could have Uncle Sam set up a review board that
    has to "Okay" any software anyone wants to publish.  Yeah, let's set
    up a billion dollar agency to do "thorough", years-long testing on any
    proposed software product.  Let's make uor software industry as
    controlled as our medical industry!  Let's wait 15 years before ANY
    software is "approved" by our benevolent state!

    Sounds like a plan to me.  A tyrannical, prosperity-destroying plan
    that is.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.