[ISN] A little note from the Management... :)

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 01:22:50 PDT

    Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jerichoat_private>

    [Meant for this to go out a week ago, but I used the old alias and
    sent via SecurityFocus.]

    Sorry for the duplicate posts. Over the past year, we've run into a
    handful of systems that have broken MTAs. Instead of bouncing mail
    with a message saying "bad address" or using a postmaster alias, they
    instead send the mail back as is. As a result, majordomo sees the
    mail, sees the appropriate "from" line and happily spits it back out
    to the list.

    Despite the configuration, majordomo is NOT rejecting mail based on
    specific headers like it should be. In essence, Majordomo seems to
    have two bugs in it that are somewhat annoying.

    As you can see below, some places are really bad about it and we work
    to identify these systems in order to block them from these loops. If
    you see a duplicate post, feel free to mail ME (jerichoat_private)
    with the message and include FULL HEADERS please. We'll try to keep on
    top of the list as far as daily maintenance as William is busy with
    content and day job.

    Current b lock list:

    saldat_private - 661 mail system horribly misconfigured - go away
    (08-02-01)

    glaxowellcome.com - 661 glaxowellcome.com mail system horribly
    misconfigured - go away (04-09-01)

    glaxo.com - 661 glaxo.com mail system horribly misconfigured - go away
    (04-09-01)

    galactica.it - 661 galactica.it mail system horribly misconfigured - go
    away (05-27-01)

    hongkong.com - 661 hongkong.com mail system horribly misconfigured - go
    away (04-01-01)

    minder.net - 661 minder.net mail system horribly misconfigured - go away
    (04-01-01)

    chris_calabreseat_private  - 661 merck.com mail system horribly
    misconfigured - go away (02-07-01)

    satx.rr.com  - 661 satx.rr.com mail system horribly misconfigured - go
    away (03-09-01)

    houston.rr.com  - 661 satx.rr.com mail system horribly misconfigured - go
    away (03-09-01)

    mail.houston.rr.com  - 661 satx.rr.com mail system horribly misconfigured
    - go away (03-09-01)

    sm3.texas.rr.com  - 661 satx.rr.com mail system horribly misconfigured -
    go away (03-09-01)

    sm2.texas.rr.com  - 661 satx.rr.com mail system horribly misconfigured -
    go away (03-09-01)

    singnet.com.sg  - 601 Your MTA is horribly misconfigured. You can not send
    us any mail. (12-25-00)

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.