[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - August 17th 2001

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 01:29:23 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                      Linux  Advisory Watch  |
    |  August 10th, 2001                        Volume 2, Number 33a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                  Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private       benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilities that have been announced throughout the week.It
    includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for fetchmail, telnet, groff, imp,
    windowmaker, and openldap.  The vendors include Caldera, Conectiva,
    Debian, EnGarde, and Mandrake.  As always, it is important to maintain an
    updated system. Many of the vulnerabilities discussed this week are fixes
    for remote root exploits.

    Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
    is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
    an e-mail to security-discuss-requestat_private with "subscribe"
    as the subject.

    PacketStorm Security named EnGardeLinux.com, the Official Site for the
    Engarde Secure Linux distribution, "Site of The Week". PacketStorm
    Security is known as one of the largest and highly regarded security sites
    on the Internet, offering the latest security exploits, articles and
    tools. We would like to thank our friends at PacketStorm for the
    prestigious honor.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-3478.html

    HTML Version:
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  fetchmail                      | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Salvatore Sanfilippo found two remotely exploitable problems in fetchmail
    while doing a security audit. In both the imap and pop3 code the input is
    not verified and used to store a number in an array. Since no bounds
    checking is done this can be used by an attacker to write arbitrary data
    in memory. An attacker can use this if we can get a user to transfer mail
    from a custom imap or pop3 server he controls.

     Debian  Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-i386/fetchmail_5.3.3-3_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 1d9e300f957b35486e2aefcff87e43c7

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1546.html

     EnGarde Binary Packages:
     i386/fetchmail-ssl-5.8.17-1.0.3.i386.rpm
     MD5 Sum:  244840700bfbb09078ff246791ae49a3

     i686/fetchmail-ssl-5.8.17-1.0.3.i686.rpm
     MD5 Sum:  03e5c25d5ba62f4370c1e234f1b3b5dd

     ftp://ftp.engardelinux.org/pub/engarde/stable/updates/

     EnGarde Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1555.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  net-kit / AYT telnet           | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    The telnet daemon contained in the netkit-telnet_0.16-4potato1 package in
    the 'stable' (potato) distribution of Debian GNU/Linux is vulnerable to an
    exploitable overflow in its output handling.

     Debian Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/
     telnet_0.16-4potato.2_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: 9bdc63c4b0dee55a5ded30203edfd619

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1545.html

     Updated Debian Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1554.html

     Caldera Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-1551.html

     Mandrake Linux 8.0:
     8.0/RPMS/telnet-0.17-7.1mdk.i586.rpm
     77cb8c2f140eb51ff0e303b228585213

     8.0/RPMS/telnet-server-0.17-7.1mdk.i586.rpm
     9bcd5a4bb716f6ae25beb0460996665f

     Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-1552.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  groff                          | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Zenith Parse found a security problem in groff (the GNU version of troff).
    The pic command was vulnerable to a printf format attack which made it
    possible to circumvent the -S option and execute arbitrary code.

     Debian Intel IA-32 architecture:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-i386/groff_1.15.2-2_i386.deb
     MD5 checksum: cec3f02dd9c9fc020dd93e0437368a25

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1547.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  imp                            | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    A PHPLIB vulnerability allowed an attacker to provide a value for the
    array element $_PHPLIB[libdir], and thus to get scripts from another
    server to load and execute.  This vulnerability is remotely exploitable.
    (Horde 1.2.x ships with its own customized version of PHPLIB, which has
    now been patched to prevent this problem

     Debian Architecture independent archives:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-all/horde_1.2.6-0.potato.1_all.deb
     MD5 checksum: 397e13b5242dda2fe381cd1b8dd43140

     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-all/imp_2.2.6-0.potato.1_all.deb
     MD5 checksum: 22ceec9831933491ce0af72f6f437a9c

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/
     binary-all/imp_2.2.6-0.potato.1_all.deb

    +---------------------------------+
    |  windowmaker                    | ----------------------------//
    +---------------------------------+

    Alban Hertroys found a buffer overflow in Window Maker (a popular window
    manager for X). The code that handles titles in the window list menu did
    not check the length of the title when copying it to a buffer. Since
    applications will set the title using untrusted data (for example web
    browsers will set the title of their window to the title of the web-page
    being shown) this could be exploited remotely.

     Debian: PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY
     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-1549.html

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-1550.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  openldap                       | ----------------------------//

    CERT released an advisory that details a number of vulnerabilities as
    found in a variety of different LDAP implementations.  The results of
    these tests showed one vulnerability in OpenLDAP with slapd not handling
    packets with certain invalid fields.  A malicious attacker could craft
    such invalid packets, resulting in a denial of service attack on the
    affected server.

     Mandrake: PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY

     Mandrake Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-1553.html