Re: [ISN] WindowsXP will include a firewall of sorts

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 05:55:06 PDT

    Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jerichoat_private>

    [This got lost in my inbox from all the parties subscribed with dead
    accounts, & over quota mailboxes. There might be a few more postings
    hiding around here.  -WK]

    > Forwarded by: Patrice Boivin <lori.patat_private>
    >
    > http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,46144,00.html
    >
    > Associated Press
    > 12:20 p.m. Aug. 17, 2001 PDT
    >
    > WASHINGTON -- A promotional website for Microsoft's
    > soon-to-be-released Windows XP operating system said it would
    > offer the same protection from viruses and hackers that major
    > corporations use.
    >
    > Not so, said a Microsoft executive who had the reference removed
    > from the website after the Associated Press questioned it.
    >
    > "I'm sure that was an unintentional overexuberance there," said
    > Mark Croft, manager for the new Windows product due in stores in
    > October.

    haha, nice wording here Mark.

    Why does this sound like pre-emptive backpedaling/spindoctoring? If
    Microsoft integrates a 'commercial grade firewall' into their
    operating system, how will that be any different than integrating a
    web browser into it? That would smack of the same antitrust case of
    Win/MSIE that is still going on in our court system.

    Whether they add it or not, they certainly can't advertise that as a
    feature without causing more legal headaches for themselves.

    > Croft said Microsoft's plan to add firewall software, designed to
    > protect Internet surfers from hackers, "is a good step from having
    > nothing" but it is not the full-fledged protection found in
    > firewall products sold separately.

    "We are adding a firewall, but not as good as others, so they will
    remain our competition..."  yep yep.

    > Microsoft's plan to include numerous new features in Windows XP
    > such as the firewall, which complete with stand-alone products
    > made by others, has angered its competitors and raised questions
    > among state regulators.

    Glad I'm not the only one who thought of this.

    > On the website, Microsoft said the new firewall feature "makes
    > your information, computers, and family data safer from intruders
    > as soon as you start using Windows XP."

    And with Microsoft's track record for security..

    > "For years, business networks have been able to protect themselves
    > from outside attacks by using firewalls," it added. "Windows XP
    > offers that same security to consumers with Internet Connection
    > Firewall protection."

    Much like Microsoft has protected their network using firewalls?

    http://www.attrition.org/security/commentary/microsoft-list.html

    > But Le Tocq said Microsoft's strategy of including a firewall may
    > pay huge dividends down the road because it could give the
    > software giant a huge consumer advantage over rivals that make
    > their own firewall products.
    >
    > "Frankly, I think that the personal firewall guys ... they're
    > going to be roadkill," he said.

    yep yep

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.