[ISN] Security patches: The solution or the problem?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 02:17:33 PDT

    UNIX SECURITY --- August 30, 2001
    Published by ITworld.com -- changing the way you view IT
    http://www.itworld.com/newsletters

    HIGHLIGHTS

    * Code Red once again showcased the dangers of failing to apply
      security patches. Or did it? Carole digs a little deeper to uncover
      the real problem that was being exploited.

    SERVICES

    * Webcast: Create robust, efficient e-business applications on the fly

    SPONSORED LINK

    LEVERAGE YOUR LDAP DIRECTORY FOR WEB ACCESS CONTROL

    Need to protect your portal from access violation? Users tired of
    multiple password log-ons to your portal? Fed up with cookies and system
    agents? Learn how to deploy Web access control, while leveraging your
    current applications. FREE white paper and personalized online demo at:
    http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3245551;5953479;s

    Worm Droppings
    By Carole Fennelly

    "While the angels, all pallid and wan,
    Uprising, unveiling, affirm
    That the play is the tragedy, 'Man,'
    And its hero the Conqueror Worm."
    -- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Conqueror Worm," Graham's Magazine,
       January 1843.

    Every time I go on vacation, I come back to a mailbox full of dire
    warnings about an exploit that will "bring the Internet to its knees."
    Like tired remakes of a classic movie, the Code Red Worm events were
    boringly predictable. Without even opening my mail, I knew the script
    that would be followed by the usual suspects: Vendors, the Media, and
    various Security Pundits.

    The Media played the part of "Chicken Little Crying Wolf" perfectly,
    hyping the threat in order to sell more advertisements. The frantic
    search for updated information and patch downloads (necessary or not)
    probably contributed to slowing down Net traffic more than the Worm.

    Next, of course, were the Security Vendors issuing press releases and
    updating their sales presentations to assure prospective clients that
    their product or service would have provided protection. "Don't wait
    for the next Code Red!" many warned. I sat through one presentation
    where the vendor intimated that they had "inside information" before
    the CERT announcement. My pointing out that everyone had "inside
    information" since the company that discovered the vulnerability, eEye
    Digital Security, made this same information publicly available wasn't
    too popular.

    Security Pundits seized the opportunity to jump on their ever-ready
    soap boxes and point fingers at their favourite targets. Ironically,
    eEye Digital Security was a popular target for making the vulnerability
    public knowledge. The Full Disclosure can of worms flared into debate
    on many security lists with proponents arguing that Full Disclosure is
    the only way to compel vendor action and opponents countering that Full
    Disclosure provides too much information to would-be attackers. The
    upshot of all this bickering was that no one changed position. What a
    surprise. Incidentally, many legitimate firms contacted eEye looking
    for a copy of the exploit so they could test their systems. Somehow,
    they lacked faith in the patch process. I suppose this makes them Full
    Disclosure advocates.

    Well, we can finally get back to business as usual now that the Code
    Red fiasco appears to be ebbing. Battle-scarred but wiser, we have seen
    the importance of applying security patches as soon as they are
    available. Damn lazy administrators should keep up with this stuff.

    When are we going to wake up and realise that patching systems is a
    *lousy* security mechanism? Sure, software bugs happen and must be
    fixed, but we have turned a last-ditch mechanism into a standard
    security practice.

    Patching a production system is risky and requires regression testing.
    One company, St. Bernard software, (taking advantage of the Code Red
    hype) offers an automatic patching mechanism. Sounds great, but
    patching systems isn't always so straightforward. The interdependencies
    of many modules can cause a patch for one application to break
    something else and, quite often, the patch cannot be backed out. Anyone
    remember trying to back out of a Windows 95 upgrade?

    Unless a particular bug had a serious impact on production, patching
    systems used to be a scheduled event. We've come to rely on patching as
    an emergency security response. That's like rushing into brain surgery
    to cure a headache -- sure, it could be a tumor but let's do some tests
    first.

    When are we going to stop reacting to symptoms and start looking at the
    root cause of security problems? Put simply, software is not properly
    tested before being released. The solution, of course, is not so
    simple. How can software vendors be compelled to employ better quality
    control methods? Manufacturers of consumer products, such as cars, are
    held accountable for their products' performance and safety. Can you
    imagine going to your car dealer for a patch kit that repairs a faulty
    fuel regulator affecting several models? Of course, as the owner of the
    vehicle, you should know how to repair it. Automobile consumers would
    never tolerate such an attitude and neither should consumers of
    software products who are forced to accept one-sided license agreements
    because they have no choice.

    Yes, there will always be bugs that need to be patched, but they
    shouldn't be the *same* bugs over and over and over again. We would not
    tolerate a builder using materials that are known to be sub-standard
    and there are requirements that new materials be proven to meet basic
    safety requirements. No such requirements exist for software.

    But, we will wait for the next "Code Red" or "Melissa" or "Pope Fathers
    Child!" event and re-use the same old tired plot with just a few
    changes in the script. When will we stop settling for tired re-makes?

    AUTHOR'S END NOTE:

    Unfortunately, I have to announce that I am taking a sabbatical from
    the ITworld.com newsletter for the next couple of months. I will be
    working on a book project and I also need to devote some time to
    migrating my archives onto my site (http://www.wkeys.com). If anyone
    would updates on my future work or just want to say "hi", I'd love to
    hear from you. Email me at cfat_private

    SPONSORED LINK

    METAgroup.com -- CLICK DAILY WITH THE TOP MINDS IN IT

    Visit METAgroup.com for free access to daily IT and E-business news
    analysis, analyst insights, research reports and much more.
    http://itw.itworld.com/GoNow/a14724a41090a75976238a0

    About the author(s)
    -------------------
    Carole Fennelly is a partner in Wizard's Keys Corp., a company
    specializing in computer security consulting. She has been a Unix
    system administrator for almost 20 years on various platforms, and
    provides security consultation to several financial institutions in the
    New York City area. Visit her site at http://www.wkeys.com.

    ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

    St. Bernard Software's UpdateEXPERT
    http://www.stbernard.com/products/updateexpert/products_updateexpert.asp

    I could have saved myself the effort and recycled an article I wrote
    last year about another security scare. Things haven't changed much:
    http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/06/27/security.frenzy.idg/

    A certain poetic justice here. "iDefense Files for Bankruptcy":
    http://www.washtech.com/news/netarch/12107-1.html

    Attorney General asks Qwest to credit users for virus outages:
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/037615.htm

    FTC proposes new laws "Thou Shalt Patch"

    LCLint Home Page
    http://lclint.cs.virginia.edu/

    New Visual C++.NET Option Tightens Buffer Security (lots of good
    resources here for secure programming practices):
    http://security.devx.com/bestdefense/2001/mh0301/mh0301-1.asp

    Good article by Richard Forno "Code Red is Not the Problem"
    http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2001-07.html
    today.
    http://www.itworld.com/jwc/nla/overview
    - When finished, click submit

    Questions? Please e-mail customer service at: mailto:supportat_private

    CONTACTS

    * Editorial: Andrew Santosusso, Associate Editor, Newsletters,
      andrew_santosussoat_private
    * Advertising: Clare O'Brien, Vice President of Sales,
      clare_obrienat_private
    * Recruitment advertising: Jamie Swartz, Eastern, Regional Sales
      Manager, jamie_swartzat_private or Paul Duthie, Western Regional
      Sales Manager, paul_duthieat_private
    * Other inquiries: Jodie Naze, Senior Product Marketing Manager,
      jodie_nazeat_private

    PRIVACY POLICY

    http://www.itworld.com/Privacy/

    Copyright 2001 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.itworld.com

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.