Re: [ISN] Is there a plan to DoS defacement sites off the Internet?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 01:38:41 PDT

    Forwarded from: Robert Ferrell <rferrellat_private>

    > S'kiddies must be pleased their work is recorded on the Web for
    > all to see, so we don't consider them as the likely perps.

    I'd like to point out that script kiddies often commit acts that are a
    bit lacking in the common sense department.  Remember that these are
    for the most part adolescents with raging hormones.  Coolly logical
    thinking isn't their forte.

    > It makes far more sense that government and big business would
    > prefer that these mirror sites "go away" so that the exploits of
    > hackers are not exhibited or glorified.
    >
    > Mystakill was quite willing to believe this theory.
    >
    > "I would not put that past the US government," he said.
    >
    > "We have hundreds of .gov and .mil sites mirrored, if you where a
    > big security company or entire government would you want you
    > blunders archived for all time?"

    As to the assertion that the US government is systematically
    conducting denial of service attacks against mirror sites, get a life.
    As if they haven't got better things to do.  Attrition still has
    hundreds of very embarrassing hacks sitting in their archives, and no
    one's trying to take them off the net.

    I think it is far more likely some small group of kiddiez are reveling
    in their ability to "control" these mirrors.  Probably kiddiez who
    never succeeded in making a splash with their lame defacements ("this
    site hax0red by boogerbreth.  Phere my skilZ").

    Cheers,

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rferrellat_private
    http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.