Re: [ISN] Setting the record straight: Zimmermann on PGP use in times of terrorism.

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 01:49:35 PDT

    Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrellat_private>

    > I told her that I felt bad about the possibility of terrorists
    > using PGP, but that I also felt that this was outweighed by the
    > fact that PGP was a tool for human rights around the world, which
    > was my original intent in developing it ten years ago.

    The very idea of somehow blaming Phil Zimmerman for developing PGP
    because it might have been used by the WTC terrorists is absolutely,
    categorically, ludicrous.  By that same logic, one must also implicate
    the Wright brothers (et al.) for developing the aircraft, the inventor
    of aviation fuel, the folks who built the WTC towers, and so on.  PGP
    is a tool. It can be used for good or ill, the same way a pipe wrench
    can be used to stop a leak under your sink or break open someone's
    head.

    The terrorists who planned this diabolical deed should be the sole
    focus of our efforts, not a spurious witch hunt for someone more
    accessible to blame.  Phil Zimmerman's contributions to privacy and
    the integrity of communications across the Internet have made him an
    international icon, and for good reason.  Kneejerk reactions such as
    this only serve to distract us from our primary goal.

    Phil, you have my profound thanks and admiration for developing PGP.
    In my book you'll never be anything other than a hero.

    Cheers,

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rferrellat_private
    http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.