Re: [ISN] Full Disclosure: How Much Security Info Is Too Much?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 01:04:58 PDT

    Forwarded from: Kim Zetter/PCWORLD <kzetterat_private>

    Per Jay Lyman's story about full disclosure at NewsFactor Network
    (http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/13871.html), he wrote:

    > Experts agree that advisories, by their very nature, may be a heads-up
    > to hackers. eEye Security came under fire for disclosing the Code Red
    > vulnerability in June before Microsoft had released a patch for the
    > hole, and again for releasing detailed information after Code Red was
    > controlled, which some blamed for the success of the Code Red II virus.

    I'm not sure where Lyman got his info but, according to eEye (and per
    the story I wrote about it at
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,60744,00.asp )

    the company notified Microsoft of the vulnerability in May and waited
    a month for the patch to be produced before making their announcement
    simultaneously with Microsoft's posting of the patch in June.

    In fact, Marc Maiffret of eEye says that they were scheduled to post
    the announcement a week earlier, but Microsoft contacted him to ask
    for more time, saying there was a problem with the patch and they
    needed another week to fix it.

    EEye complied. Jay Dyson correctly noted that Microsoft publicly
    thanked the company for waiting until they had prepared the patch.

    InfoSec News <isnat_private>@attrition.org on 10/02/2001 02:29:57 AM

    Please respond to InfoSec News <isnat_private>

    Sent by:  owner-isnat_private