[ISN] DoD 'Safecrackers' Help Safeguard Pentagon Documents

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 04:22:21 PDT

    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2001/n10032001_200110037.html

    By Gerry J. Gilmore
    American Forces Press Service

    WASHINGTON, Oct. 3, 2001 -- Two Pentagon civilian employees have been
    breaking into safes and moving some "hot paper" in the wake of the
    Sept. 11 terror attack on the Defense Department's headquarters.

    However, don't think Marion "Snake" Cochran Jr., 51, and assistant
    Michael Dooley, 40, are thieves who specialize in counterfeit
    currency. Rather, they're DoD locksmiths who've helped to safeguard
    classified materials by opening more than 80 damaged safes that were
    removed from offices near the Pentagon's ruined west face.

    "All the metal was melted off the front of them and you couldn't
    identify (which service) owned them," said Dooley, a Missourian who
    retired from the Air Force a year ago. "I was opening safes when they
    were still smoking. They were hot."

    Dooley estimated about a dozen safes remain to be opened, which should
    take the rest of the week.

    Many of the safes, Cochran noted, contained classified documents that
    had to be identified and secured, or destroyed in the Pentagon's
    incinerator.

    After the safes were opened, Cochran said, "appropriate authorities"
    were on hand to determine where the recovered materials came from and
    if they were classified. Decisions were then made to secure or destroy
    the materials.

    Cochran and Dooley work for Washington Headquarters Services, under
    the Security Services Division of the Defense Protective Service.
    "We're the main physical security branch for dealing with any kind of
    locks, safes, security containers and access-control devices in the
    Office of the Secretary of Defense," Cochran said.

    The two locksmiths had been installing locks and other security
    devices in offices in the Pentagon's newly renovated Wedge 1 section
    in the days before the attack, said Cochran, an 11-year Air Force
    veteran. Leaving the service in 1981, he secured a job with a local
    lock service. He joined the Pentagon team in 1985.

    Since Sept. 17, he and Dooley have been busy "cutting open safes that
    came out of" the Pentagon, Cochran said. The two former Air Force
    technical sergeants said they learned much of their locksmithing
    skills on the job in the service. Cochran said those skills have come
    in handy handling hot safes.

    "The heat was so intense that most of the hardware on the outside was
    melted," he said, adding that special saws and "jaws-of-life" devices
    used in auto accidents have been employed to open the safes.

    Cochran said each safe presents a different challenge, depending on
    size, damage and the method used to open it. Time spent opening safes,
    he said, has varied from 20 to 90 minutes.

    "They're still pulling out safes as far as I know," he added.

    The North Carolinian said he received his "Snake" moniker from a
    supervisor when he was in the Air Force. "Marion is sort of a rough
    name to live with, and I used to have a pet boa constrictor," he
    explained.

    Dooley said he had been working "close to 12-hour shifts" since Sept.
    17. He said he was bruised "black-and-blue" from wielding the 52-pound
    "jaws-of-life" to pry open the safes.

    He recalled that he had always thought that if the Pentagon were ever
    attacked that such an assault would come from a car or briefcase bomb.

    "I never, ever thought it would be an airplane," he added, noting that
    the explosion "shook our room like you'd never believe." After the
    impact, Dooley said he and Cochran helped to evacuate people from the
    building.

    A television news broadcast about the World Trade Center attacks may
    have saved his and Dooley's lives, Cochran recalled. The two had been
    preparing to head out for work when news of the New York attacks broke
    on an office TV. They became transfixed.

    "We were sitting there watching the TV when (the airliner) hit us," he
    said. Otherwise, he and Dooley would have been working in Wedge 1 --
    the impact zone.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.