[ISN] Anthrax a dangerous red herring?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 00:54:35 PDT

    Forwarded from: Thomas C. Greene <tcgreeneat_private>

    [Please reply back to the original poster since its a little off
    topic.  - WK]

    I hope I'm wrong, but the recent spate of anthrax mail strikes me as a
    red herring intended to preoccupy us while a more dangerous attack is
    carried out.

    The chance of anthrax being used for mass infection is negligible.
    But it does command extraordinary press and popular attention because
    Americans are inclined toward hypochondria.  People who agonize about
    carpal tunnel syndrome, and who buckle to pharmaceutical company
    come-ons urging them to perceive shyness as 'social anxiety disorder'
    for which they should seek 'treatment', and who shovel Ritalin down
    their children's throats because they act like children, are an easy
    mark for distraction by a fatal bacterium which can arrive in their
    letter boxes.

    Add to this an odd statement by Al Qaeda Saturday, warning against
    flying in planes and dwelling in skyscrapers.  To my knowledge, Al
    Qaeda has never issued warning of an attack.  And to my knowledge,
    they've never revisited a method of attack or type of target.
    Assuming that this impression is fair and not mere securocrat
    mythology leaked to the press, then the Al Qaeda 'warning' is
    disinformation -- possibly bluster, possibly meant to divert our
    attention from a unique attack in the works.

    If we assume the latter, and also assume that the anthrax mail is
    connected for the same purpose, then we may be witnessing a concerted
    effort to set us searching for trouble in the wrong places.

    And what would be the right places?  You tell me.  I think first of
    petroleum assets, nuclear power facilities, major manufacturing sites,
    mass entertainment venues, hazardous materials transport, city water
    facilities, food production sites, <<insert your personal favorite
    here>>.

    I hope I'm barking up the wrong tree.  Any thoughts?

    t.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.