[ISN] (U) Replacement column

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 01:56:29 PDT

    http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=409&page=4

    by Rob Rosenberger
    10/14/01

    (U) FIRST, I WANT to thank the three uniformed federal police who
    visited me in the middle of the night. I appreciate the fact they
    knocked politely and never drew their guns.

    (U) Second, let me offer a note of thanks to the plainclothes federal
    agent who interviewed me. I appreciate the fact he didn't haul me off
    to an interrogation room.

    (U) Third, I want to thank the antivirus vendor who helped put this
    ball in motion. An embarrassing column about them will never see the
    light of day for {ahem} "national security reasons." The war against
    cyber-terrorism requires utmost secrecy. Or at least that's what I
    hear.

    (U) Yes yes yes, I know embarrassment shouldn't justify national
    security protection, but things changed in the computer security world
    on 11 September. Our country needs action right now, not criticism. Or
    at least that's what I hear. America cannot afford to lose any more
    faith in the antivirus industry -- because only they can save us from
    Osama bin Virus. (You think the U.S. military can protect our
    computers? Don't make me laugh.)

    (U) You win some, you lose some. I lost a column; the antivirus vendor
    saved face.

    (U) An absolutely true story, by the way. I'd gladly tell you one
    extra detail which takes me down a notch in this farce -- but telling
    you would likewise harm national security. So, ta da! This replacement
    column makes me look positively great and makes the antivirus vendor
    looks embarrassingly bad.

    (U) Purely by coincidence, editor-at-large George C. Smith asked for a
    special Tipsat_private email address. Anything you send to it will go
    to at least two of us here at Vmyths. Your tips & rumors will always
    reach at least one person who never signed an "SF 312" document. I
    once signed such a document -- and Smith feared someone might try to
    use it against me.

    (U) Your tips & rumors will remain anonymous, as always. An "SF 312"
    doesn't force me to reveal my sources & methods. It only affects my
    ability to report on the global antivirus industry's influence over
    U.S. national security. The document I signed doesn't censor anyone
    else around here.

    (U) Let me repeat: we set up Tipsat_private purely by coincidence.
    What happened to me simply validates one of Smith's many concerns.

    [Editor's note: the "(U)" before each paragraph is an inside joke.]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.