Re: [ISN] XP vulnerable to DoS attacks

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 01:39:44 PDT

    Forwarded from: Dave Dittrich <dittrichat_private>

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, InfoSec News wrote:

    > http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2819030,00.html
    >
    > By Wayne Rash
    > October 19, 2001
    >
    > "It suffers from being very complicated," Steven Gibson says,
    > trying to explain why he thinks a little-known feature of some
    > operating systems could spell doom for businesses on the Internet.
    > Gibson runs Gibson Research, a highly regarded Laguna Hills,
    > California, security research firm. The feature is something
    > called "raw sockets," and it's in Windows XP, the newest version
    > of Microsoft's Windows operating system. Internet businesses could
    > find their access to the world buried in a flood of nonsense
    > traffic that could exclude nearly everything else.

    Steve Gibson is *still* pushing "raw sockets are the devil?" Anyone
    (especially journalists) who are interested in this topic had best
    look into the details, not just take what Steve tells them.

    Here are the results of my research, which address Steve's claims:

    	http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/grc-reply.txt

    --
    Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
    dittrichat_private             University Computing Services

    PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.