[ISN] Linux Security Week - November 5th 2001

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 01:56:20 PST

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  November 5th, 2001                          Volume 2, Number 44n   |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             daveat_private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         benat_private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Protect Yourself
    with Secure Protocols," "The 60 Minute Network Security Guide," "Guide to
    Firewall Selection and Policy Recommendations," and "Transparent Proxying
    with Squid."

    This week, advisories were released for squid, kernel, uucp, webalizer,
    htdig, util-linux, teTeX, libdb, and the Red Hat printing system.
    Vendors include Caldera, EnGarde, Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSE.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-3957.html

      ** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **

      Planning Web Server Security? Find out how to implement SSL!
      Get the free Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all
      your Apache SSL security issues and more at:

      http://www.gothawte.com/rd90.html

    * Don't Risk your network installing an insecure OS *

    EnGarde was designed from the ground up as a secure solution, starting
    with the principle of least privilege, and carrying it through every
    aspect of its implementation.

    * http://www.engardelinux.org

    Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
    is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
    an e-mail to security-discuss-requestat_private with "subscribe"
    as the subject.

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * ApacheWeek: 2.0 Security Summary
    November 2nd, 2001

    Two denial of service attacks were found in the Apache 2.0 code this week
    - both concerned with memory usage when sending large requests. The first
    was that the server did not respect the maximum header field length, and
    would consume memory indefinitely while reading a header line.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-3962.html

    * The art of Computer Forensics
    November 1st, 2001

    When the perpetrator deletes files, or when pieces of a file are
    fragmented all over the place, hard disk/floppy disk examination is
    another technique that computer forensic scientists employ. Basically,
    this looks at all the bits on the magnetic media to match them up into a
    coherent piece that may yield a clue or incriminating evidence

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-3953.html

    * Overview of LIDS, Part Two
    October 31st, 2001

    This is the second part of a four-part series devoted to an overview of
    LIDS, a Linux kernel patch that will allow users to take away the
    all-powerful nature of root in order to give programs exactly the access
    they need and no more. The first article in this series offered an
    overview of LIDS. This installment will look at file restrictions, LIDS
    File ACLs, and LIDS enhancements of Linux capabilities.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-3941.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Hacker intrusion collusion creates 'perfect  IDS'
    November 3rd, 2001

    Three months after the infamous Def Con hacker fest back in July, a group
    of geeks have published data which they claim may prove to be the ultimate
    Intrusion Detection System (IDS) test bed.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-3963.html

    * Protect Yourself with Secure Protocols
    November 2nd, 2001

    Securing your network activity is not difficult, but it does require an
    awareness of how certain protocols work. This article will attempt to
    address these protocols and situations and suggest ways of adding
    security.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-3961.html

    * The 60 Minute Network Security Guide
    November 1st, 2001

    This SNAC Guide addresses security "best practices" from the National
    Security Agency's Systems and Network Attack Center. It includes
    information on security policies, passwords, host security, buffer
    overflows, rootkits, and more.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-3955.html

    * Guide to Firewall Selection and Policy Recommendations
    October 31st, 2001

    A draft of the Guide to Firewall Selection and Policy Recommendations
    (.pdf format) is now available for public comment. This document is
    intended for technical managers in the firewall and network security
    areas, but it would also prove useful to those wishing to know more about
    firewall technology and recommended policies.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-3947.html

    * Transparent Proxying with Squid
    October 29th, 2001

    Transparent proxying frees you from the hassle of setting up individual
    browsers to work with proxies. If you have a hundred, or a thousand, users
    on your network, it's a pain to set up each browser and to use proxies --
    or to try to convince users to go into their preferences and type in these
    symbols they don't understand.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-3929.html

    +------------------------+
    | Cryptography News:     |
    +------------------------+

    * DeCSS' DVD descrambler ruled legal
    November 1st, 2001

    The Copy Control Association (CCA), which was granted a preliminary
    injunction against Andrew Bunner and other Webmasters, was handed its head
    in a California appellate court Thursday.  The trial court had granted the
    injunction against publishing Jon Johansen's DeCSS DVD descrambler, but
    Brunner appealed on First Amendment free-speech grounds.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-3956.html

    +------------------------+
    |Vendors/Tools/Products: |
    +------------------------+

    * Nessus : another brick in the (security) wall
    November 3rd, 2001

    Nessus is a free security scanner available from http://www.nessus.org.
    The project was started and is maintained by Renaud Deraison. The stable
    version at the time of this writing is 1.09 and the experimental one is
    1.14.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-3964.html

    * Freeware Security Web Tools
    October 31st, 2001

    In today's e-commerce-enabled environment, a company's Web site is of
    paramount importance. Web sites are subject to daily attacks.  Everything
    from defacement to denial of service attacks are launched against small
    "DotComs" and large multi-national corporations. The purpose of this
    article is to look at some freeware Linux tools the security-conscious
    administrator can use in the war against cyber attacks.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-3948.html

    * Tripwire aims to lock down routers, switches
    October 29th, 2001

    Working from the idea that intruders can't do much lasting damage to your
    network if they can't make changes to files, Tripwire Inc. on Monday
    announced a new version of its security lockdown software, Tripwire for
    Routers and Switches. The product, formerly called Tripwire for Routers,
    monitors all the routers and switches on a network, determining baselines
    of activity and preferred configurations and tracking all changes made
    from a single console, said Dwayne Melancon, vice president of marketing,
    service and support at Portland, Ore.-based Tripwire.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-3934.html

    +------------------------+
    |  General News:         |
    +------------------------+

    * $1 billion boost possible for IT security
    November 2nd, 2001

    A $20 billion stimulus package in the works by Senate Democrats may
    include $1 billion to bankroll an information-technology fund, CNET
    News.com has learned.  As proposed by Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., the
    U.S. Office of Management and Budget would administer the fund and award
    money to projects that aim to further protect the United States' critical
    infrastructures, improve the security of government computer systems, or
    harden the nation's defenses against natural and manmade threats.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-3958.html