RE: [ISN] Cyber terrorism is 'fantasy'

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 23:55:05 PST

    Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmailat_private>

    Let's take a statistic of roughly 200 hard disk reformats per month
    per air force base for numerous arbitrary reasons.  The colonel wants
    a new OS, or the secretary can't get her machine to act right, or the
    captain deleted CMD.EXE because he didn't need a program that just
    displays a copyright notice, or the airman gets a hand-me-down
    upgrade, or a contractor takes over a cubicle.  "Thanks, sarge.  What
    happened to all the data?"  It's gone; I blew it away.  "Ouch.  Oh
    well.  Thank goodness we haven't moved to the paperless office."

    Let's take another statistic of 100 air force bases worldwide, times
    12 months...  We can speculate our mighty zoomie electron defenders
    reformat roughly a quarter-million hard disks each year.  And that's
    just USAF.  Add the Army and the Navy and various purple-suit
    agencies: I suggest multiplying this number by three.  We can
    speculate DoD reformats roughly a million hard disks each year.

    A million per year, and I didn't even talk about all the hard disks
    reformatted each year by the civilian government.  Reformatted each
    year by the Fortune 1000.  Reformatted each year by countless small
    businesses. Reformatted each year by countless individuals.

    Okay, now let's insert the word "virus" in this argument.  Let's
    suppose a virus comes along and wipes out a million hard disks in two
    days.  "What happened to all the data?"  It's gone; the virus blew it
    away.

    Go on: predict the mayhem.  How many quintillions of $$$ will we lose?

    Rob