[ISN] CFP: CodeCon (deadline coming up!)

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 21:56:34 PST

    Forwarded from: Bram Cohen <bramat_private>

    The deadline for submissions is coming up in less than a month, so now's
    the time to send them in.

    CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: CODECON 2002
    http://www.codecon.org/

    CodeCon 2002, scheduled for February 15, 16, and 17 in San Francisco,
    California, is the premier event in 2002 for the P2P, cypherpunk, and
    network/security application developer community. It is a workshop for
    developers of real-world applications that support individual
    liberties.

    During the first two days, our policy is "bring your own code"; while
    those not demonstrating software are welcome to attend, the focus is
    primarily on developer discussion. The final day of the workshop is
    intended to be more inclusive, consisting of public and press
    demonstrations, interviews, panels and a public session allowing a
    larger number of presenters to demonstrate their projects in a more
    informal setting. All presentations must be accompanied by functional
    applications, ideally open source. Presenters must be one of the
    active developers of the code in question.

    CodeCon strongly encourages presenters from non-commercial and
    academic backgrounds to attend for the purposes of collaboration and
    the sharing of knowledge by providing free registration to workshop
    presenters and highly-discounted registration to full-time students.
    Public session presenters and approved members of the press will
    receive free registration for the public session on Sunday.

    IMPORTANT DATES

    Submissions open:                               1 October 2001
    Final submission deadline:                      1 January 2002
    Final notification of acceptance:              15 January 2002
    Conference begins:                            15 February 2002
    Public session and public demonstrations:     17 February 2002
    Post-conference web-based proceedings:           15 March 2002

    SUGGESTED TOPICS

    The focus of CodeCon is on running applications which:

    *  use one or more of: cryptography, steganography, distributed
       network architectures, peer to peer communications, anonymity
       or pseudonymity

    *  enhance individual power and liberty

    *  can be discussed freely, either by virtue of being open source or
       having a published protocol, and preferably free of intellectual
       property restrictions

    *  are generally useful, either directly to a large number of users, or
       as an example of technology applicable to a larger audience

    Examples of excellent presentations include Mixmaster remailers and
    extensions, OpenNap, Swarmcast, Mojo Nation, Magic Money, and OpenPGP
    applications. Novelty in technical approaches, security assumptions,
    and end-user functionality are excellent properties.

    Presentations about basic technologies, such as a new cipher or hash,
    non-interesting vulnerabilities in existing applications, or
    discussions of unimplemented protocols are better suited for other
    conferences. The guidelines for the CodeCon public session on Sunday
    are less stringent than the main workshop; presentations which are
    more tangential to CodeCon's focus may be accepted.

    FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (main workshop)

    Paper and Q&A
    -------------
    For those most comfortable with a traditional conference format, we
    will accept papers up to 25 pages. We encourage HTML or plain ASCII
    submissions, but can accept PostScript, PDF, or LaTeX. We will
    distribute papers in advance of the conference, and will provide 30 or
    60 minutes for discussion and Q&A, at the presenter's discretion. In
    exceptional cases, we will accept anonymous papers and conduct either
    a non-directed discussion or a Q&A session directed by proxy. All
    papers should be accompanied by source code or an application. When
    possible, we would prefer that the application be available for
    interactive use during the workshop, either on a presenter-provided
    demonstration machine or one of the conference kiosks. Additionally,
    during the paper presentation, some use of this demo must be made; it
    may be relatively brief, but a demonstration of the running
    application is essential.

    Interactive demo
    ----------------
    In addition to the traditional conference paper format, we encourage
    highly interactive presentations. Throughout the event, we will have
    several kiosks and local servers available for demonstration purposes.
    We also strongly encourage presenters to bring their own hardware.
    Application demos can be up to 20 minutes, followed by a period of up
    to 40 minutes for Q&A, which can include demonstration of additional
    features of the application not covered in the main presentation. If
    desired by the presenter, we can distribute URLs of applications
    several days before the workshop to allow attendees to familiarize
    themselves with the basics of applications prior to the workshop
    sessions.

    Panel
    -----
    In areas where multiple projects fall roughly in the same domain, the
    most efficient presentation may be a panel with one or more developers
    from each team. These developers may then individually demonstrate
    their applications, followed by discussion among the panel and Q&A
    with the other attendees as to differences in design goals,
    implementation, and other aspects of the systems. If we receive
    multiple submissions from related projects for papers or demos, we may
    suggest to the presenters that they combine into a panel.
    Additionally, presenters are free to submit jointly as a pre-selected
    panel.

    There is some flexibility in requirements and formats for
    presentations;  please enquire if you would like to use an alternate
    form.

    FORMAT OF PRESENTATIONS (public session)

    On the afternoon of Sunday 17 February, we will set aside a
    substantial amount of time for 5 minute-or-less project public session
    presentations. Other events on this day, including panels and main
    presentations, will be targeted at members of the press and public, so
    brief presentations on Sunday will reach a wide audience. Presenters
    from the first two days who wish to make an additional public session
    presentation may do so.

    SUBMISSION DETAILS

    Presentations must be performed by one of the active developers on the
    project. That's the rule -- no code, no mike. Multiple people may be
    involved in a presentation. You do get in free if you're part of a
    presentation even if you don't speak during it, so creativity (within
    reason) is encouraged.

    The workshop language is English, for both presentations and papers.

    Ideally, demonstrations should be usable by attendees with 802.11b
    connected devices either via a web interface, or locally on Windows,
    UNIX-like, or MacOS platforms. Cross-platform applications are most
    desirable.

    Our venue may be 21+. If you are submitting and are under 21, please
    advise the program committee; we may consider alternate venues for one
    or more days of the event. If you have a specific day on which you
    would prefer to present, please advise us.

    Main workshop submissions should include in the plain-text body of
    email to submissionsat_private the following information:

                     - Name of presenter
                     - Name of others involved in project attending
                       conference
                     - Title of presentation
                     - Brief summary of topic
                     - URL or attachment of example code
                       (must be received by the final submission deadline)
                     - Brief project history
                     - Brief summary of demo, or abstract of paper
                     - Any other details considered relevant

    Public session submissions should include in the plain-text body of
    email to submissionsat_private the following information:

                       - Name of presenter
                       - Title of presentation
                       - Brief summary of topic
                       - URL or attachment with example code
                       - Any other details

    PROGRAM COMMITTEE

                           Bram Cohen, BitTorrent
                           Dan Egnor, ofb.net
                           Jered Floyd, Permabit
                           Ian Grigg, Systemics
                           Ryan Lackey, HavenCo
                           Don Marti, LinuxJournal
                           Guido Sanchez, New Hack City
                           Len Sassaman, quickie.net
                           Bill Stewart, AT&T
                           Brandon Wiley, Freenet
                           Jamie Zawinski, DNA Lounge

    COSTS

    Recognizing that many of the developers of the most interesting
    cypherpunk applications are unable to afford accommodations and other
    expenses in San Francisco, CodeCon will attempt to locate housing and
    otherwise assist with issues for presenters on a case-by-case basis.
    Please contact codecon-adminat_private if your submission is
    accepted but you require assistance to attend.

    SPONSORSHIP

    If your organization is interested in sponsoring CodeCon, we would
    love to hear from you. In particular, we are looking for sponsors for
    social meals and parties on any of the three days of the conference,
    as well as sponsors of the conference as a whole, prizes or awards for
    quality presentations, and assistance with transportation or
    accommodation for presenters with limited resources. If you might be
    interested in sponsoring any of these aspects, please contact the
    conference organizers at codecon-adminat_private

    QUESTIONS

    If you have questions about CodeCon, or would like to contact the
    organizers, please mail codecon-adminat_private Please note this
    address is only for questions and administrative requests, and not for
    workshop presentation submissions.

    -Bram Cohen

    "Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                            -- John Maynard Keynes

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.