[ISN] Information Operations - New course explores using information as a weapon

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 03:00:44 PST

    http://www.ftleavenworthlamp.com/display/inn_news/news3.txt

    Friday, January 04, 2002
    by Maj. Robert Foley, Futures Design and Integration Center

    Recent events both in America and abroad have shown that the nature of
    warfare is changing. Information has become both a weapon and
    battlefield. The Army has developed a new Functional Area -
    Information Operations - to train soldier to fight and win on this new
    battlefield.

    The TRADOC Commander saw a need to increase the Army's IO capability
    and directed that IO courses be set up immediately to support the
    ongoing military operations.

    At Fort Leavenworth, 12 soldiers completed training Dec. 21. More
    groups are scheduled to train later in the winter and summer.

    During the training, soldiers completed workshops on subjects such as
    electronic warfare and psychological operations, conducted information
    operations planning and worked with classmates as a staff group.

    A course curriculum designed by the Combined Arms Center in
    conjunction with Electronic Warfare Associates of Virginia enabled
    soldiers to train on all aspects of information operations. The course
    was modified to enable soldiers to be trained in a short period of
    time so they can quickly return to their units.

    "The central point of the course is to teach a core of officers the
    skills necessary to synchronize the existing resources of the Army,"
    said EWA principal analyst Frederick Hellwig.

    "IO is necessary because our country is facing an asymmetric threat,"
    said Hellwig. "Our Army faces nation-states and non-state entities,
    such as terrorists and criminal organizations, which avoid our
    strengths and try to exploit what (they) perceive to be our
    weaknesses. What IO officers do is synchronize, coordinate and
    integrate the Army's IO capabilities that have existed for years. In
    the past, many of these activities were not as effective because they
    were not coordinated with critical operations."

    Soldiers in the IO branch include active-duty, National Guard and
    Reserve lieutenant colonels and majors.

    This new era of information has led to a new way of thinking in the
    Army.

    "If we are to win on today's battlefield, we need to replace the
    attrition warfare mentality with a decision maker targeting approach.
    If we can influence, slow down, or even stop what the other side is
    trying to do, we will gain a decisive advantage over our opponent,"
    concluded Hellwig.

    The new IO field manual, Field Manual 3-13, is in the final stages of
    approval. The manual is expected to be released in the near future.
    The manual will be available online with other Army reference
    material.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.