[ISN] Texas Lottery's Web site defaced by hackers

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 00:53:54 PST

    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1200404

    Jan. 7, 2002, 1:03PM
    Associated Press

    DALLAS -- The Texas lottery's Web site was attacked and temporarily
    defaced by hackers over the weekend, say state officials who are
    investigating the security breach.

    Sunday night's attack was not the first for the Texas Lottery
    Commission's Web site.

    Keith Elkins, the lottery commission's communications director, said
    other hacking incidents have been reported to the Texas attorney
    general's office and to the FBI.

    After the latest attack, the Web site was corrected by early today.

    "It's not the first time we've been hacked into, and we take it very
    seriously," Elkins, the lottery commission's communications director,
    told The Dallas Morning News in Monday's online edition.

    State officials are investigating how the Web site was defaced.
    Officials learned about the problem at 10:45 p.m. Sunday.

    Visitors to the site were greeted by a page that replaced the lottery
    commission's normal design.

    Elkins said hackers left "graffiti" on the site, meaning information
    wasn't altered and only the appearance was changed.

    "It's not a lotto drawing night," said Elkins. "It's an inconvenience
    to our players, and ... it's frustrating for us."

    Last June, a hacker tapped into the Lottery Commission's Web site,
    posting a message that urged readers to dump their computer programs
    in favor of another system.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.