RE: [ISN] U.S. Cyber Security Weakening

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 10:38:49 PST

    Forwarded from: "Thomas (Yahoo!)" <thomasroygarnerat_private>

    One thing that makes me wonder, in the first paragraph, mentions
    "...companies are not implementing security measures already
    available..."

    I could be reading into this article but, one a security patch comes
    out for our latest/great MS Network, we cannot simply just "apply the
    patch".  Even though, our security personnel scream bloody hell to do
    so, you simply can't.  We learned that lesson years ago, applying a
    patch, only to have another patch come out shortly, thereafter, to
    correct an error in the previous patch.

    We have to test the patch, ensure that it passes accreditation, ensure
    that if this patch is applied, all computers on the network can run
    and not "crash" or some other unforeseen problem.

    I do understand the need for other physical preventive devices;
    however, not everyone is running Windows NT or Windows 2K, I have
    three/four Windows 95 machines running happily w/ outdated software,
    Lord knows what a patch for the Network could do to my lonely Win 95
    machine! :(

    Thomas Roy Garner
    SETIPRIME ( http://www.setiprime.com )