Re: [ISN] Exploding chips could foil laptop thieves.

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 20:57:18 PST

    Forwarded from: John Q. Public <tpublicat_private>

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, InfoSec News wrote:

    |Forwarded from: Jay D. Dyson <jdysonat_private>

    |Courtesy of Cryptography List.
    |
    |Exploding chips could foil laptop thieves
    |19:00 16 January 02
    |Duncan Graham-Rowe
    |
    |A new way of making silicon explode could mean anyone trying to use a
    |stolen laptop or mobile will be confronted by this message: "This machine
    |is stolen and will self-destruct in ten seconds ... ".

    I don't want one.  It's bad enough when your friends make fun of you
    in a chat room/email list/irc whatever when you leave a teminal open.
    I know guys that would initiate this destruction for fun.

    Then again, what about the next "deadly" virus?  Unless Bill is
    serious about this security 'thing' we'll soon be dealing with a virus
    that spreads around and melts computers with this Mission Impossible
    upgrade.

    Now, something that provides an electrical shock to the user could
    come in handy.  We've already got apps like PC Anywhere, VNC,
    Timbuktu, etc that allow a tech support person to watch what a user
    does on his PC in real time. You can tell them over and over, but
    thick users will still make mistakes.

    Perhaps a jolt of encouragement will prevent some of the ignorant
    mistakes made in the enterprise these days.  It would sure make the
    gaming industry boom.  Oh, and I suppose it could be used to deter
    thieves and console hackers as well.

    .nhoJ

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.