RE: [ISN] Italian Police Nab Hacker Group

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 00:28:46 PST

    Forwarded from: Marjorie Simmons <lawyerat_private>

    [This is the last posting on this topic. - WK]

    The "qualitative damages that are hard to put a dollar figure on" is
    called, in legal-damages parlance, "business good will."  It is
    ascertainable and quantifiable, and has been for a long, long time.

    In law there are the concepts of assumption of the risk, comparative
    negligence, apportionment of damages, and, of course, proof of damages
    in order to (as a prerequisite to) recovery of damages.  I've been
    interested for awhile now that there hasn't been more press skepticism
    nor general business understanding that the assessment of damages from
    defacements subjects itself nicely to such timeworn tests and really
    is little different from other business losses assessments.

    What needs attention is the quite deliberate obfuscation of these
    concepts (by wannabe profiteers as well as by some clueless press
    people) going on at a pretty constant pace.  Folks need to
    disentangle, conceptually, the defacement act and motive from the
    assessment of damages in order to sort out the issues, which are
    multiple.  The relationship(s)  between an act and the consequences
    flowing from that act is (are) not so Byzantine as Windows security.

    I write letters, at times, and in response to the following letter, I
    was met by silence (surprise, surprise):

    ____