[ISN] Alleged eBay hacker wants lawyer back

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 00:10:33 PST

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-821582.html

    By Robert Lemos
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    January 23, 2002, 6:40 PM PT

    SAN JOSE, Calif.--The case of the alleged eBay hacker took another
    plot twist Wednesday afternoon when the former Los Alamos National
    Laboratory employee asked to have his lawyer back just hours after
    dismissing her.

    In the past week, Jerome T. Heckenkamp--accused of breaking into the
    computer network of eBay, Exodus Communications and other
    companies--has filed to put himself back into federal custody, asked
    to dismiss his attorney, noted cyber lawyer Jennifer Granick, and now
    has requested that she be allowed to represent him once more.

    "We've had a change in circumstance again," U.S. District Court Judge
    Patricia V. Trumbull said dryly, when Heckenkamp, 22, returned to the
    front of the courtroom after a three-hour recess.

    Standing in the U.S. District Court of Northern California in the
    orange and gray togs of the Santa Clara County Department of
    Corrections, Heckenkamp said he had decided that he could work with
    Granick after all.

    "We can both play an active role in my case," he said. "If I can have
    an active role as I want, then we can work together."

    Granick, the clinical director at Stanford University's Center for
    Internet and Society, wasn't present at the afternoon hearing, but
    said in an e-mail that she and Heckenkamp plan to work as a team.

    "He realized that his lawyer will present his best defense more
    effectively than he'd be able to do alone," she said.

    Heckenkamp has been charged with seven counts of accessing computers
    without authorization and eight counts of intercepting computer
    communications. The charges stem from intrusions by a hacker known as
    MagicFX into the networks at eBay, Exodus, Juniper, Lycos, E*Trade and
    Cygnus throughout 1999, according to an indictment filed in December
    2000.

    The indictment claims that Heckenkamp is MagicFX.

    In addition to the 15 charges, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the
    Northern District of California charged Heckenkamp with witness
    tampering. Heckenkamp has also been indicted by the U.S. Attorney's
    Office for the Southern District of California in San Diego on 10
    additional charges of computer intrusion.

    The separate charges in two venues has complicated Heckenkamp's
    defense. The $50,000 bail posted by a friend covers his release in
    both venues, but even if Heckenkamp gets Judge Trumbull's release of
    the money, he will have to repeat the efforts in San Diego as well.

    Heckenkamp's change of mind derailed his efforts to talk his way to
    freedom without bail. The arguments on the issue, slated for that
    afternoon, got pushed back to the next morning, when his reinstated
    attorney could once again be present.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.