[ISN] The May Report: 01/31/2002: Calling all hackers: Bill wants folks with SNORT and "John the Ripper"

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 03:01:31 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:12:37 -0600
    From: Claire Dolinar <claireat_private>
    To: mayreportat_private
    Subject: The May Report: 01/31/2002: Calling all hackers: Bill wants  folks
        with SNORT and "John the Ripper";

    January 31, 2002

    The May Report
    Your inside source on Chicago's high tech community

    The May Report: 01/31/2002: Calling all hackers: Bill wants folks with
    SNORT and "John the Ripper";

    Ron May: editor, reporter, commentator, and publisher.
    773-871-2000 x1
    For personal & confidential: 312-670-6336
    E-mails for Ron: ronat_private Unless otherwise requested by the
    sender, all correspondence addressed to Ron May and/or The May Report is
    subject to publication in the newsletter and on the website.

    Administrative matters should be directed to Claire Dolinar
    (claireat_private)

    [...]

    * I received a call this morning from a self-described hacker who told
    me that I might be interested to learn that Microsoft is "calling all
    hackers." Bill Gates announced a few days ago that security and
    trustworthiness is the number one concern of Microsoft. In order to
    make sure that their sites are safe, Microsoft is asking hackers to
    help them with penetration issues and intrusion detection. I asked the
    guy--who did identify himself to me, but asked to remain
    anonymous--how they found him.  He explained that it's really a pretty
    small community, and once you are on the list of people who know about
    this stuff, they keep track of you.  Specifically, he mentioned a
    product called "SNORT." Microsoft wants people with SNORT experience.

    Here is a note I received after my conversation with this person. The
    buzz words are fascinating.