Re: [ISN] The May Report: 01/31/2002: Calling all hackers...

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 22:24:54 PST

    Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrellat_private>

    > >* I received a call this morning from a self-described hacker who told
    > >me that I might be interested to learn that Microsoft is "calling all
    > >hackers." Bill Gates announced a few days ago that security and
    > >trustworthiness is the number one concern of Microsoft. In order to
    > >make sure that their sites are safe, Microsoft is asking hackers to
    > >help them with penetration issues and intrusion detection.

    Call me cynical, but the sorry Randal Schwarz saga leaps to mind when
    I see a powerful corporation asking for 'hackers' to do 'penetration
    testing' on their systems.  I'd be too afraid I'd cross their
    invisible line...

    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
         --Santayana

     >I asked the guy--who did identify himself to me, but asked to remain
     >anonymous--how they found him.  He explained that it's really a pretty
     >small community, and once you are on the list of people who know about
     >this stuff, they keep track of you.

    They haven't contacted me, so I guess I'm not a member of that
    'community.  I don't know what I did to deserve this, but whatever it
    is, I hope I can keep doing it.

    ;-)

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rferrellat_private
    http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.