RE: [ISN] Interview with an ex-hacker

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 23:55:03 PST

    Forwarded from: Brooks Isoldi <bjisoldiat_private>

    Well, good luck telling that to this reporter.  I have in the past
    tried to inform Mr. Middleton on the topic of internet crimes, which
    he attempts to write many of his news articles about.  He goes out of
    his way to pick the most moronic of hackers and asks them the most
    moronic of questions.  I guess the two fit nicely together.  One
    article he wrote actually contained information on what the kids do
    besides hacking and contained questions that had absolutely no bearing
    whatsoever on the issue.  Middleton has made an effort to allow
    juvenile kids with very little knowledge of the very systems they
    attack to stand on a podium and preach security to the rest of the
    world, and he has justified this nonsense by claiming that these
    articles are widely read by his targetted audience and therefore he
    must be doing something right.  Well, sure if your target audience
    doesn't know anything about the topic, of COURSE they're going to be
    more likely to enjoy what you write.  It's ridiculous when you see a
    journalist stoop down to the level where the "hacker underground" is
    some awe-inspiring, sensational realm that few people have the honor
    of existing within.

    ---
    Brooks Isoldi
    The Intelligence Network