Re: [ISN] Irony: Inmate's hacking through jail computers comes to an end

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 02:02:25 PST

    Forwarded from: Steven Jay Moshlak <smoshlakat_private>

    Hi-

    My comments are embedded below and this is why going cheap, is dear.
    If I was one of the "rank and file" law enforcement officials who had
    learned that data about me was in the hands of a convicted felon or
    someone charges with a felony, I'd hang the entire group of
    Corrections Management that is responsible; directly or indirectly,
    out to dry, accordingly.

    The Management have failed to not only uphold their oaths as law
    enforcement officials, but have endangered the lives of sworn peace
    officers.  This is the same state where a number of airplanes were
    "stolen" and the person ultimately responsible for the management of
    security at Logan was managed by a political appointee who has no
    knowledge of Airports to begin with. Regrettably, political patronage
    is apparently alive and well in Massachusetts.

    > Tanzi, a Massachusetts man charged with killing two women, had been
    > using the Monroe County Detention Center's computerized law library,
    > which consists of about 50 CD-ROMs that prisoners can tap into using
    > two steel-enclosed computer terminals in a basement room of the
    > jail.

    No "Stand-alone's," VPN or CD-ROM Jukeboxes are available?

    > Jail administrators have since installed a $10,000 firewall, which
    > they say cannot be breached by inmates.

    Tie a "bulls-eye" on the old oak tree, I mean me, please.

    > Computer technicians at the jail said they thought they had disabled
    > any back doors to the rest of the network.

    Next time, hire network engineers, not "technicians."  You get what
    you pay for.  By the way, were these "trustees?"